i dropped my 2 month old!

I dropped my two month old daughter and i think she hit her head. i was able to break the fall a little so it wasnt really hard but i feel horrible. i keep crying and i called the pediatrician. they said to keep aking her up and check on her. Am I a horrible mom? has anyone else ever tripped and dropped thier baby? i can't believe it...=(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no your not a horrible mom. it was an accident. now if you did it on purpose then yes you would be. i am sure she is fine. just keep an eye on her.

eva123

Answer by eva123 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• (((((hugs))))))))))))))) oh honey its ok, it happens. accidents happen and she will be ok. she prolly has forgotten already and see now you will be extra extra careful. its ok,(hugs) poor thing I know you feel awful, but you are a good mom and try not to keep beating yourself up. the ped told you what to do and they didnt say "bad mom" so try to let it go.
    and just in case some meanies answer this in a nasty way-ignore them. a mom who says she has never messed up or done something they feel guilty about is a liar. none of us is perfect.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I fell down the porch stairs while carrying my son's car seat! He got a big scratch on his face. He was 6 months old. (I cried too) My 5 month old rolled off our bed (another child). I felt horrible too. It happens! You will both get over it. You are not a bad mother!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I left my first baby at 4 months old laying on the couch while I went to get a glass of water. She wasn't rolling over yet, so thought she'd be fine. She rolled off the couch and hit the coffee table. I cried and my hands shook for a whole hour. She was fine, but I never made that mistake again. I used to be a CPS case worker. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• awww hun, it happens!! babies are made tough!! built to last!! lol accidents happen, doesnt make u a bad mom! when my daughter was 2 months she was lying on my bed smiling and laughing, so i went and grabbed my camera, i was leaning over her, and i dropped the camera right on her face..she had a black eye for a few days, i felt horrrrible!!! she was crying, i was crying/shaking...she was fine...but i know how ya feel...we arent perfect!! but accidents happen. thats how we learn our lessons...form then on i always made sure i put the wrist strap around my wrist so it couldnt fall off!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It happens. My son rolled off the bed when he was a baby. I didnt think he could roll over, but he started lol. Your not a bad mom. We all have done it wether we admit it or not :)
    sunnieday

Answer by sunnieday at 12:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Sweet heart...let me tell you a story to make you feel better. I HAVE DROPPED BOTH OF MY KIDS!! They were each 6 months at the time of each fall.

The first time I was trying to walk back into my apartment with my daughter on my hip and a laundry basket on the hip. I tripped. She went flying out of my arms. I wasn't able to cushion her fall at all. She landed under the stairs on the concrete ground outside our apartment. I sliced up my heels and we both ended up in the ER. She was fine and stopped crying as soon as our neighbor picked her up. I was balistic because I thought she was going to have brain damage or something.

The second time I was leaving our fall festival at church and my heel got stuck in the side walk after I slipped on some acorns from this massive tree in front of the church. The jerk from getting stuck made my son fly out of my arms and hit the asfalt face first. I fractured my ankle....
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We both went to the ER. He had a minor head injury but was okay and didn't require any further medical attention.

I don't know what it is about 6 months but my DH says I am not allowed to walk with the next one from the beginning to the end of the 6 month. LOL.

Don't feel bad. It happens. I know you feel horrible but just watch him and be thankful he's okay.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That stuff happens! It doesn't make you a bad mom. Baby will be fine and it will soon be a story for you to tell. I dropped my first one at about two months, he's fine. I never dropped the second but I layed him down on the couch and went to get his carseat and my older son tried to pick him up and dropped him. It happens, It won't be his last bump on the head! :-)
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 1:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You don't have to keep a baby, or anyone, with a head injury awake. That is a myth. I would be concerned about a doctor that gave me that kind of bad advice. If you think your baby could have a brain injury then the baby should be evaluated. You can't just listen to people on cafemom that weren't even there tell you everything will be fine. You were there, you have a child that you are responsible for, you have to decide if your child needs medical attention. You are going to have to make this kind of decision many, many times over the next 18+ years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2010