• In the Spotlight:

Where should I put the second car seat?

Alright, baby #2 is due in about a month, and we have our two-year old's convertible seat in the middle (of the back seat, of course). Which side should I put the infant seat on? Is one side safer? Are there any statistics that show that more side impacts occur on either the driver's or passenger's side?

I appreciate the advice!

shawnaquijada

Asked by shawnaquijada at 12:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Travel

• I'm not 100% sure of what side would be safer. But I would probably put the infant in the middle and the toddler of either side...
    Anonymous

• i agree with the infant in the middle..and I would say the toddler behind you because it would be reflex to try to avoid collision on the side your on
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• infant in the middle toddler on the passenger side. yes instinct would have you trying to avoid a wreck on your side but if it's a case of a t-bone then your side is the only choice and that is a hard hit. IMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Driver side is safer because it is your instinct to protect your self, the passenger side turns against oncoming traffic, and if someone were to run a red light they'd have more distance to stop if there were to hit the drivers side, there is no reaction time if they were to hit the passenger side.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Also go to your local fire department, most have a car seat specialist who can guide you.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• passenger vs. driver depends on where you live-continent wise-as far as which side has more collisions due to red light running's- check with your local police department and see what THEY recommend.
    Anonymous

• this might help- Car-seat.org

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• This is the OP here - what's so funny to me is that I asked a question a while back about the car seats and how to fit two in the back, and numerous people told me I should put the infant seat on the outside and the toddler in the middle, since the rear-facing infant seat is safer than a forward-facing toddler seat. Basically, everyone thought that an infant would have more protection in an accident, since an infant seat kind of encloses the baby more, and is rear-facing, whereas the toddler is more out in the open and forward-facing. Now I'm hearing the opposite! I wonder which is really safest?
    shawnaquijada

Answer by shawnaquijada at 3:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• you know op that is a good point! I never thought of it that way. My thought was always that an infant is so much more fragile and unable to cover his/her face but it's true there safety seats are more enclosed. Thanks for pointing that out. lol. Now I'm confused.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2010