how do i get my 2 month old to sleep in his own bed?

when we first brought our son home we figured if he slept with us for a few nights it wouldn't be a big deal and we really wanted to bond with our first baby, but now he wont sleep at night unless he is in our bed...HELP!!

lowesjessica

Asked by lowesjessica at 1:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you keep trying. Unless you want to cosleep, which a lot of people on here will advocate for. I never coslept with my kids. Things that helped us: a small blankie that I wore under my shirt while awake to tuck into bed with them, a "heartbeat" bear that is sound and movement activated (a white noise machine would work too), and being swaddled. Also, you can lay a heating pad down in their crib to warm the mattress, just remember to remove it before you lay baby down! Laying him down when he is very drowsy but not yet asleep will help him learn to soothe himself back to sleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

Answer by missanc at 1:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That was about when I put dd in her own bed (we spelt on the futon until then) and I would rock her until she went to sleep, place her in her crib and everytime she woke up and cried I would go back in and feed her then rock her back to sleep, put her in her crib and go back to bed until she cried again. She also had a cd with the sound of mothers heartbeat while in the womb playing all night. Took awhile but soon she was adjusted and able to sleep without being rocked but she still prefers being in our bed which she's only spent 6 nights of her 2.5 years in.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It's normal for for babies to sleep with their mothers. It's hardwired in their brains. Human babies have breastfed and slept with their mothers for all time and still do in most places. Your baby is doing what is normal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Start with nap time. The trick is to put him down while he's drowsy, but not asleep. Its ok to let him "fuss it out", making noises and cooing. Don't go in there to get him or check on him until he cries. More times than not, he'll soothe himself to sleep.
    However, do NOT let him cry himself to sleep yet. He's way too young for that.
    Swaddling may help.
    Good luck. There is still plenty of time to teach him to sleep in his own bed.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 1:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010