is my 3 month old eating enough?

my son is 3 and a half months old, he was eating about 6 oz every 3 hours but now he will only eat about 4 oz every 3 to 4 hours and he sleeps all night long (about 7 to 8 hours) without eating! everyone is telling me i need to give him rice cereal but he won't eat it! is he eating enough?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah he's doing great, and still too young for cereal. as long as he's peeing and gaining weight you are a-okay
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That was about what my kids ate - and were sleeping 8 plus hours/night at 2 months. As long as he is growing and gaining weight, no need to worry. Solids are not recommended until at least 4 months, and closer to six is better.

Answer by missanc at 1:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Sounds to me his growth spurt is over and he will be at that for a short while until he's ready to grow again. Still offer more but my dd dropped her feedings too until one night she ate an entire 8oz bottle and started eating more again. If he's not loosing weight and is still having enough wet diapers I wouldn't stress so much about it. If he isn't, I would take him to the dr.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• yes he is definitely soaking his diapers! lol when i say soaking i mean SOAKED within an hour or 2! he has also been really fussy the past few days is what really worries me but i think he is teething or something. thanks to all!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• don't give him rice cereal - that will give him gas.
    as long as he is sleeping and not acting like he is hungry, then he is fine and you have nothing to worry about.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No baby should have anything other than formula or breastmilk before 4 months. Ignore people that are telling you to do things that are harmful for your baby.

The most important developmental task in the first year is brain growth. A baby's brain needs sugar to grow. If the baby sleeps through the night it's blood sugar will drop and the brain won't get enough sugar. People will tell you to let the baby sleep. You are so lucky, ect. I would wake that baby to eat for brain growth.

What's normal for human babies is to breastfeed and wake at night to feed. If you formula feed you want to try to do it as much like breastfeeding as possible.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010