Breastfeeding...

Hi there cafemom... first wanted to thank cafemom for allowing us to post questions ..... I mean its better to hear answers from experiences....

So my first son did not drink breast milk because when he was born they first introduced him to formula by the nurses... now im trying to conceive and ive heard how painful it is to breastfeed in the first few days..... how did you deal with it and how long did it take you to get used to it??

iliana90

Asked by iliana90 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• for me it was tolerable with my frist, a bit painful. My second I had no pain at all, it was a breeze :)
    My suggestion is to have lanolin, see a lactation consultant right away in the hosptial to help you with the latch, read books like "the womanly art of breastfeeding" you can get it on www.llli.org or amazon, check out your local La Leche League group, and don't allow the nurses ot give formula or pacifiers. You can do this, and if you do have some pain remember that it will go away, but always pay attention to the latch in the beginning. Also, have you heard o fthe baby crawl? when the baby is allowed to crawl up your tummy and latch themselves? sometimes if you can't get a good latch having the baby latch on their own may be teh way to go, they know how to do it :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I tried to breastfeed my boys for at least 2 months, my 9 year old I couldn't breast feed because he was a premie, he wouldn't latch. With Nathan my 9 month old breastfeeding was very painful and I almost gave up several times. I can tell you and it probably sounds corny but I joined the July 09 baby group which is when he was due and it was a whole lot easier getting through it with the other ladies going through similar issues. It took about 3 weeks for my breast to get used to it, I bled from my nipples alot and I cried. I used to let one breast rest and suffer through the baby sucking on the other. That was just my experience, there were other moms in my group who were able to breastfeed no problem but for me it was very painful. I breastfeed until my milk supply pretty much dried up at about 4 1/2 months.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Even if the nurses introduce formula, you really shouldn't have a problem nursing. All of my kids did both (I work full time). The real pain for me came from being engorged and nursing. To help this, I pumped a little before I nursed to get a little more comfortable. It really helped.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• With DD it hurt, but not as much as the childbirth ;) Do as much research as you can. Read the books mentioned by pp, go to a breastfeeding class or support group, connect with someone who has breastfed for at least a year if you know someone who has done so, and find a breastfeeding moms group on here. There are several, and the women have tons of experience and should be able to help you through just about anything. Actually, what hurt more than the latch was the engorgement. I went from almost a c cup by the end of pregnancy, to I think over a d cup until my supply evened out; I had rocks where my breasts used to be lol. Tylenol is good for that, and so are hot showers (if you can take a shower anyway lol) And I agree with precious333, DO NOT allow formula. Put notes up to that effect all over the room, and make sure that every person who comes into the room knows you don't want any formula given.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Also, if you can nurse right after giving birth, that is great. The sooner you can get the baby started nursing, the better. Your milk can take anywhere from 2 days to a week to come in, so don't panic if you're not shooting milk right away ;) The pain on latch should subside not long after; if it lasts through the whole nursing session, ask for an LC (not a lactation nurse, a lactation consultant- difference is in education) to come in and evaluate the latch, which if bad can cause truly unbelievable pain. Anyway, I ramble. Check out some of the breastfeeding moms groups-they are great helps not just after the baby is born but in helping you know what to expect before the baby is here so there are less surprises.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thank you guys very much.... i was reading up on breastfeeding and i really want the next baby to have both breastmilk and formula..... very greatfull for the answers
    iliana90

Answer by iliana90 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Since you want to combo-feed, I will say this: wait until after six weeks before introducing any formula bottles so your nursing relationship has a chance to get established. Also be prepared for the baby to develop either a nipple dislike and refuse any bottles, or a nipple preference and have a latch in need of correction once bottles are introduced. Some babies are great switching back and forth, others aren't; you just don't know until you hit that point. Good luck and congrats!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• um how about using a breast pump to pump out my breast milk and still give him breastmilk but through a bottle?
    iliana90

Answer by iliana90 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That works too. I have to say, though, as a working mom who pumps three times a day every day I work and once a day when I'm off, it's a hassle and if you're right there anyway, it's easier to just latch the baby on. Pumping takes time (if you exclusively pump you should do it every two hours to maintain supply), it is simply not going to be as efficient at expressing the milk as a baby is regardless of what quality pump you have, and if you don't get things just right, it can hurt really badly and traumatize your nipples. Overall, unless you have to do it, I personally consider it a waste of time I could be spending with my daughter when I'm home.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• The stories kind of scared me but the initial pain was much less than what I expected. My nipples got kind of sore (not to be gross but think of how it hurts if your partner gets a little too loving in that area) for about the first week. I used Lanolin cream because it is safe for baby and put it on immediately after nursing and in between. After about a week to week and a half my nipples didn't hurt anymore. They never got chapped or cracked and they never bled or bruised. On about day 5 or 6 when my milk came in that kind of hurt- my breasts were really sore so I put a hot wet towel wrapped around a heating pad over my chest and took a nap and woke up feeling much better. That was really the only discomfort I ever had with nursing. And I didn't "toughen up" my nipples ahead of time despite the advice of my MIL and Mom- I think that is old school advice. Really, it's hard for some people but really easy for others- just try.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010