why do u say if u work fulltime you don't raise your children?

i really don't understand. if you all were raised by mother's that stayed home then i understand your ignorance but i highly doubt that all you women were raised by mothers that didn't work. so stop judging those that do and say someone else raises their children if they work. i am raising my daughter with the help of others. and yes many people help to raise a child. noone does it along and if all u sahm think u do it all alone you are sadly mistaken and its ok for the children to be with others in other environments. its good for them to experience other people and life situations. i justhatet when so many people put down others by that one statement. do u even realize what u are saying before you actually write it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• my mom was a sahm. and so am i. but it really does take a village. i say whatever works for you and your family!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i like what you have going on here except for the bashing of sahm who choose to have their child be unsocialized. you are no one to say they shouldn't do it the way they are. just like they shouldn't bash you for your choices.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Because you dont..I have worked in daycares..and leaving children at them from 9-5 is not raising them....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I agree whatever works for you and your family. I've been working since 16, had my son when I was 17 years old, I think staying home is a blessing why judge the mothers who are able to make staying at home work. If I had that option I would take it in a heartbeat, i have to work so I do just that I juggle my family life with my professional life and hubby and I make it work. I do raise my kids, at the end of the day we are their parents and ultimately we are responsible for our kids wether we stay at home or work outside of the home.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Its also sad when you hear a child cry because they cant see you or be with you.People are so into this INDEPENDENT chid thing that they forget that children are people also..they have feelings.Some children like daycare but from what i have seen they act way better at daycare then at home.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Child** sorry
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• not judging, just saying. when a working mom spends from 6 - 8 p.m. with a child and puts him to sleep for the night, THAT is NOT rearing a child. The sitter or daycare is instilling values and rearing your child. It's your choice. It's none of my business what you choose but it's just fact. Add up the time you spend with the child verses the time others spend with your child and tell us who is the most influential in the child's life via time? btw, I am not ignorant.
    Anonymous

• you said it.

It takes a Village to raise a Child.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 1:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes I know what I am saying when I say it. I used to work in a day care center. People dropped off their babies at 6am, picked them up at 6pm. Babies go to bed by 8pm so when exactly are you parenting? Weekends? Between the grocery store and the beauty shop? How can you be influential in your child's upbringing when you are not there?  And yes I understand that some people are single parents and can't help it.  But the comment I made was about TWO parent families with both parents working. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh yay, we're going to beat this dead horse again.

If you really honestly in your heart of hearts believe that dumping your child off at daycare doesn't mean someone else is raising your child between 8am to 5pm, then why are your feathers all ruffled over what me and some other SAHMs think? If you are soooo confident that you are your child's mom even though you work full time then why do you feel the need to get all riled up here on CafeMom in order to find some other women to validate your opinion?

My mom stayed at home my first 2 years and then went back to work. I remember my 3 years in daycare before starting school. They were miserable. I couldn't wait for my mom to come get me. I remember all the other kids there struggling to get attention from the daycare workers.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Sociology and was a Marriage and Family Social Worker. I'm not ignorant.
    Anonymous