How do you feel about people of differing beliefs?

Do you take them seriously? Or do you think, even subconsciously, that they don't REALLY believe what they do, and it's only a matter of time before they will figure out your "truth"?
Can you hold your own truths close, while respecting others beliefs...and I mean TRULY respecting them...and hold them(others beliefs) to be the absolute truth for THAT person? Or is it, all your beliefs and nothing else?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i respect other beliefs, as long as they arent obviously hypcritical. I met someone a while back who told me he was a "satanist" and he casted shadows and drank wine to replace drinking blood because he was a vampire. He obviously didnt do his homework and just wanted attention.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think that everyone is entitle to their own believes. I also believe that we are not here to try to convince people that they are wrong! I am a Christian but i dislike when people try to force religion or believes onto other peopl. i Do no believe in organized religion. i believe in faith and a relationship with God....
    iliana90

Answer by iliana90 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'm respectful of all beliefs that do not harm or marginalize others. I disagree with scare-tactic doctrine because the broader message of the major faiths is Kindness Matters. Anyone whose faith can boogie with the Kindness Matter philosophy is okay by me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• absolutely I can respect someone with a different belief. I am a Christain, and my husband is an athiest. I do not agree with what my husband beleives, I think he is misled, but I have complete repsect for him He is a wonderful person and I love him soooo much and I repsect his choice to not believe. I do pray however that one day he will know God as I do, and we do have conversations about our beliefs as well. some of them are godo and some do get a bit emotrional I have to admit, but still we can talk about it and respect eachother even though we do not agree.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• " I do not agree with what my husband beleives, I think he is misled, but I have complete repsect for him He is a wonderful person and I love him soooo much and I repsect his choice to not believe. I do pray however that one day he will know God as I do"

I am not picking on you, I promise, just some questions. You say you believe he is mislead. Mislead by whom....himself? Can you TRULY respect someone who you feel is mislead? Doesn't this imply that you think you know better, and this is almost condescending...to say he is mislead.

And if you respect someone's beliefs, why would you continue to pray that they change? Do you accept them as they are, or not?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I try so very hard to respect others, even if subconsciously I'm thinking "OMG FRICKIN INSANE." Of course, everyone has a "boiling point". If someone starts attacking me as a person or my family, I'm going to fight back and show them disrespect.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I don't have a problem respecting a right to your own beliefs. My husband is a different denomination than I, my nephew is atheist and my sister is agnostic. I can respect their choice with no problem.

Now I lose respect for a person when I am told I am insane for being religious or that I believe in a myth or a lie in a sky. Respect is a two way street and I find it hard to respect those who will openly be disrespectful.
    Anonymous

• i think it takes all kinds, even the creepy kinds make up part of the reason why i am who i am right? it's all about taking something positive from everything
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• "Now I lose respect for a person when I am told I am insane for being religious or that I believe in a myth or a lie in a sky. Respect is a two way street and I find it hard to respect those who will openly be disrespectful. "

I totally agree and is partly why I asked this. I've heard MANY times that as an atheist, I am "lost", or just kidding myself and it's only a matter of time before I find the "truth". Or that atheists don't truly believe what they believe...we are just trying to be difficult. I've heard many disrespectful things about my particular beliefs. (as I am sure all beliefs have heard)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I am not picking on you, I promise, just some questions. You say you believe he is mislead. Mislead by whom....himself? Can you TRULY respect someone who you feel is mislead? Doesn't this imply that you think you know better, and this is almost condescending...to say he is mislead. And if you respect someone's beliefs, why would you continue to pray that they change? Do you accept them as they are, or not?

thats fine,. I thought someone would ask. yes, I can respect someone who I believe is misled. If I am confident in what I believe, than of course I am not going to think my husband is correct in what he beieves. I do believe he is misled, misled by the world and ultinately Satan, because he is the one who causes confusion.  And I do beleive my husbadn to be a very smart person, even smart people are misled., I do not believe that I have all the answers, but I do bleive that God has all the answers cont....

Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010