My two year old does not like to play with others is this something I need to worry about?

My two year old any time he is out and about he does not wanna play with others he stays off to himself . He even does this at home and church while all the other kids are playing my son is off by himself doing his own thing when I ask him to come play with the other kids he says no . Is this something I should look into are is this just him being a loner.

lilredmomma513

Asked by lilredmomma513 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is good to encourage him to play with others or at least watch others but at this age, its more developmentally appropriate for toddlers to play along side each other rather than with each other. I wouldn't worry about it but I would encourage group activities when possible (Have a play date and do ring a round the rosie or have the toddlers pretend to be different animals, etc.)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• he's still a bit young to play with others. Give him a bit more time and continue o give him opportunities to engage with other kids. You might want to try smaller groups with familiar kids.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Most kids engage in parallel play at this age and won't play interactively with others for another year.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• He is almost three when will he want to play with others
    lilredmomma513

Answer by lilredmomma513 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010