Is your 3 year old potty trained?

I'm trying to potty train my 3 yr old son but he doesn't show any interest! I ask him if he needs to potty and he always says no. So I'll sit him on the potty, sometime he goes, sometimes he doesn't. I put him in underwear during the day, but if I get busy or forget to put him on, he'll go in his shorts. Sometimes I can catch him when I notice that look of concentration! His daycare will only put him on when they are changing his pullup, after he has already gone. I told the assistant that he won't tell you when he needs to go but she keeps saying "He won't go when we put him on the potty." I say it's because he already went in his pull up, so he doesn't need to go anymore! Does anyone have any fool proof methods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I found letting dd run around naked helped the best! Now, when she's naked she will get up from playing and go pee whenever needed. BUT if I put panties on her she thinks it's a pull up and goes in them on occasion. I also find the pullups seem to set dd back a lot more because they go from not worrying about peeing to remembering they have to pee back to not needing to worry. It's difficult but what about getting those vinyl pants that you they have? You put regular underwear on and these plastic feeling pants on over them so they know they peed but it doesn't go everywhere yet it isn't absorbant? I hear those worked well for a lot of people.. GL and he will get there!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You need to take a few days off of work and have him wear nothing but undies. Take him every 1/2 hour or so. The pull ups at daycare is confusing things. Take Thursday and Friday off. That plus Saturday and Sunday, he should be all trained by Monday. Tell them at daycare no more pull ups. This is what I did with all 3 of mine. they were trained in 2 days. The secret is you can never go back to diapers (pull ups). Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Every two hours. ...set your timer if you have to. and stop asking him if he needs to go. tell him "it's time to go pee!" ...make sure you tell him what you expect. saying "potty" is such a broad term and children are afraid to disappoint us. so instead be more specific. Also, if make sure you are consistent with your terms. if you call it pee, then call it pee every time. if you say tinkle. then tinkle it should always be. same with poop terms.
    and it's okay if he goes in his underwear. he'll soon realize that it's not very comfortable. And have him help you clean up the mess. he can take off his own underwear and add it to the laundry or washing machine. and he can get a rag and clean up whatever might have dripped onto the floor.

but honestly, if he's not showing interest maybe you need to be more enthusiastic. ...and if he STILL doesn't show interest. ...maybe he's just not ready
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My oldest potty trained at 2.5 years. We tried the no undies no diapers thing for 3 days straight. We kept a potty chair downstairs, and let him run around naked. If he started having an accident, we'd run him to the toilet or chair and then cheer him on. Bribing him worked as well. He knew if he used the toilet, he got a treat! It really took about 3 days for it to sink in. The over night thing took more time. But, we stopped giving liquids about 2.5 hours before bed time. It was rather rare that he had an accident. Good luck!
    ~Heather
    Hottiehp21

Answer by Hottiehp21 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Trained my son in a few days. He was 2.5 years old. Went to the potty 3 times in 6 months but I was ready and thought I give it a try. Santa took the diapers and left undies. We didn't ask if he had to go, we said "Lets o to the potty". Had day care work with us. No pull-ups except for naps and night-night. After 3 weeks - all pull-ups were gone. I am one lucky momma!
    Anonymous

• Hmm at 3 it should be pretty easy. I don't get why ppl wait so long to potty train. Sorry tht is just how I feel. I have 2 girls both were potty trained at 20 months old. I wasn't spending any more money on diapers. It wasn't hard either. Every 20 minutes we took the trip to the bathroom. After I felt she caught on I went to 1/2 hour then an hour ect...
    I have learned tht when you ask a child lets say. 'Do you want to go to bed" wht do you get for an answer "NO" another one 'Do you want to brush your teeth' wht do you get for an answer "NO" so why ask... Just do it! A child pretty much tells ya "NO" on pretty much any question you ask. lol' So instead of asking if he/she wants say "It is time to go whether bed, potty, pick up toys" Don't give them the chance to tell you "NO"... JMO'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010