Help supply issues!!

I have been only breastfeeding my baby up until 3 days ago and he is 5 weeks old. He spent 2 days at the hospital due to reflux and a few other issues. They decided to put him on thickend milk (breastmilk) for 2 weeks then recheck him. I have been pumping every 2-3 hours. I started out being able to pump up to 3 oz from each breast and now I am down quite a bit. I can only get 1-2 my left and a little more from right. I am worried because I still have a week and a half of not being able to nurse him and really want to beable to once they give us the go ahead. any suggestions?? I am using Ameda Purely Your pump and eating oatmeal 1-2 times a day.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 2:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I say keep pumping religiously and hang in there for the week and a half until you can nurse again because once you are able to actually put your baby to the breast you will probably jump start your supply again. I felt like with pumping my body knew I wasn't really nursing and didn't really produce or let down as much milk as when my baby was actually nursing. If the pumping can just keep your supply hanging in there until you can nurse again you will probably get your milk back really quickly- just nurse, nurse, nurse as soon as you are able to and then as often as you can for a week or so and things will hopefully get back to normal. I know this will be hard and tiring for you, but if you are liking the nursing experience then really try to hang in there because it will really be worth it. I nursed 7 months and regret stopping so early. Good luck- lots of milky vibes going out to you! :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Those numbers are actually within the average that women are able to pump. Just keep it up, and pump every 2-3 hrs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Pumping anything over 1 oz at one session is over average. You aren't having supply problems at all. What you're describing is a very adequate supply. Just drink lots of water, keep pumping just the way you are, and then put the baby to your breast on demand once you can.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2010