How often do you feed your newborn?

How often/much does your newborn eat? My son is 1 week and 3 days old and weighed 9lbs 1oz...he wants to eat 3oz every 2 1/2 hours. I kind of feel like that might be too much

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Right now he needs to eat as much as he wants. You can't let him go hungry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I know, I feed him whenever he's hungry
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i fed my daughter every 40 minutes for the first two months, round the clock
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• That doesn't sound like too much at all. I think it's perfectly normal. I fed my DD at least every two hours at that age, sometimes she didn't last quite that long between feedings. She was breast fed so I don't know how much she got each time.

I think we hear about people whose baby eats 4 oz every four hours and sleeps thru the night at 3 weeks and then we think we are doing something wrong if that doesn't happen with out own infant. But most new moms I know felt like they were feeding constantly (nursed or formula fed) and never sleeping long enough, etc, etc. I know that's how I felt anyway. It's hard to know what exactly is normal but at this age they pretty much stop eating when they are full and fuss again when they are hungry so I think it's best to just go with it and assume this is what's normal for your baby.

That was my long way of saying don't worry Mama! :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thanks! This is actually my second child, but with my first she was Colicy & had Acid Reflux so she was way different from my son! He usually only cries when hes hungry and I really can't remember how much I was feeding my daughter when she was this little. When I was in the hospital he was eating every 3 hours and now its down to every 2 - 2 1/2. But he is also getting bigger and I guess I just needed to remind myself of that!
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• my newborns usually ate every 1 1/2 hours...we breast fed, so i don't know how much they ate.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You can't feed a formula fed baby on demand. There are min and max amounts to feed. Infants can't regulate their intake of formula. We know that babies that gain too much as infants can go on to have lifelong health problems.

Most breastfed babies can be fed on demand. However, breastfed babies will have suckling that doesn't involve milk. It's not nice to mess with mother nature and babies brains don't know they aren't getting the breast. They will do what should be suckling that doesn't give milk at the bottle and just keep getting milk and overfeed. They may need 3 oz and gobble down 8 oz. The mom may think they need that much because they gobble gobble gobble. What they may really have is a strong suckling need and are trying to meet that at an artificial nipple and aren't getting suckling (not feeding) needs met.

You need to find out the max to give from your baby's doctor or feeding charts online.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• when my daughter was first born (she is almost 8 months now) the hospital told me to only feed her 2 ounces every 4 hours and I did at first, she always seemed hungry though =/ Then maybe the 2nd or 3rd day she screamed for 4 hours until we gave her the next 2 ounces and I deceded that I was going to feed her until she decided she wasnt hungry anymore. It broke my heart to have her cry for 4 hours because she was hungry but they were very strict with me about it. My poor baby. Well she is on stage 2 foods now and has been eating 8 ounces every 3-4 hours since she was 5months old. she is 17 pounds.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010