Does the reason behind the disrespect justify the disrespect?

If someone calls your religion phony does it make it OK for you to call them a name?

If someone throws a stone at you, does that justify you throwing the stone back?

If you say they don't know the truth, is it moral for them to bash you?

At some point in time isn't this eye for an eye thing going to go too far we can't see past our own hate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Being the bigger person, not stooping to someone else's level, two wrongs don't make a right, etc- all of these cliches have been around so long for a reason and that is that they are true. Sometimes that is easier said than done but I think it is the ideal to strive for.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Good quesiton, I am still trying to figure it out.

It does make you crazy lol, I am trying to forgive and forget. Move on, but it is hard. Sometimes they say if someone hits you hit them back.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Does the reason behind the disrespect justify the disrespect? No

If someone calls your religion phony does it make it OK for you to call them a name? No

If someone throws a stone at you, does that justify you throwing the stone back? No

If you say they don't know the truth, is it moral for them to bash you? No

At some point in time isn't this eye for an eye thing going to go too far we can't see past our own hate? YES!!!
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• KFree, the hardest thing right now in my life is trying to move on and get over the pain someone very close to me caused. I think it would be easier to forgive a cheating husband than to forgive this person for their actions.

I am trying, I have tried and i will keep trying and with the help of Jesus I will find a way to forgive and move on.
    Anonymous

• Technically no. However you shouldn't let some walk on you. If they call your faith phoney, it wouldn't matter to you if your faith is true, and strong. There is no justification for correcting what other believe it is there belief. If they were to switch just because you want them to it wouldn't make their faith true.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• ????
    Anonymous

• If they call your faith phoney, it wouldn't matter to you if your faith is true, and strong.

I agree fully. If you are told you are lost, it shoudln't matter to you because you know you are not
    Anonymous

• I think people need to respect each other's faith/religion/spirituality or non-belief if that is the case. And if you do not agree with someone & are not capable of having a civilized discussion about your differences, then just choose to agree to disagree & leave it at that. I will share my opinions and the reasons I believe what I do with anyone as long as they take the time to listen and respect my right to believe differently than they do. I enjoy learning about other peoples religions,cultures,etc. I just do not like it when they try to shove it down my throat or insist I'm going to hell if I do not join their particular religious group or believe the same thing as they do. We have the freedom to make choices in this country and I certainly am not ever willing to give that up!
    Anonymous

• If someone calls your religion phony does it make it OK for you to call them a name?   No, but sometimes I do it anyway because I'm human.  It's better to walk away but I can't say I always do.

If someone throws a stone at you, does that justify you throwing the stone back?  No, but I'm sure I'm guilty of it

If you say they don't know the truth, is it moral for them to bash you? It's annoying to be told by someone you don't know the truth when the truth is subjective, but no you shouldn't bash.

At some point in time isn't this eye for an eye thing going to go too far we can't see past our own hate? It already has sometimes, but I can't understand rudeness.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No, but sometimes I do it anyway because I'm human.  It's better to walk away but I can't say I always do.

I think this is one of the hardest lessons of life I have  to learn and try to learn every single day. I should walk away but man it can be hard. it doesn't make it right and I wish I could do it more often, but it is hard. Pride is one of my problems. I try to walk away I get accused of being weak. I don't want to look weak so I come back and fight. Before long it is a battle of the stubborn. Really sums up a feud going on in my life right now. So hard to forgive when I am not sure I remember what started the fight.

Anonymous