One Child?

I was looking to hear from parents with one child......I have a 12 year old step-daughter and a 21 month old baby boy....my husband is 36 and I am 31 and we confused about having another one for many different reasons. I would like to hear from parents who have one child. I just feel like a failure if I dont give him a sibiling closer to his age. Any information or advice would be great. Do you regret only having one child? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have NEVER regretted having one child. He has friends and cousins to play with. Don't have another child just to give your child a sibling close in age to him, there are many ways for him to socialize with others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thank you tyfry7496. I also live in a great community with children everywhere and also a recreation park basically in my back yard, that will help too. Thanks for your answer.
    Anonymous

• I am an only child and I have one 14y/o. We are both stable, happy people...I would have loved to have siblings and my son would too. I also would have loved to have more kids. But, things didn't work out like that. I have to be happy with what I got. We aren't missing out too much, nor are we sad or anything. So, don't feel bad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I was an only child and it was lonely growing up. I would have LOVVEEEDDDD to have a brother or a sister to play with. Yes I had friends and cousins but I didn't get to see them all the time and I even wished I had a brother or sister to fight with. Yeah believe it or not I was jealous of that when my friends would talk about that.
    Anonymous

• I have only one and I hate it. She is so lonely all the time. She has many cousins to play with but it's not the same. We had too much trauma when our second adoption failed that I wouldn't put her through that again. So having a sibling isn't an option. But I will always feel bad for her, I don't think it's right to do that to a kid. JMO
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Ummm I'm not trying to bash but a step-sister is a sibling! I don't have any sisters or brothers from both my natural parents but I have a bunch of step-siblings and I love them just as much as I would a sibling! I don't like the word step...
    Anonymous

• Yes and I consider my step-daughter ...mine. She is closer to me then her own mother. I dont like the word step...either!!! Thanks for all the feedback, greatly appreciate it.
    Anonymous