Study: Spanking Kids Leads to More Aggressive Behavior...now what?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100412/hl_time/08599198101900

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• you needed a study to tell you that? its common sense to me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• that's funny cause my husband & both were spanked as children & we aren't aggressive people at all.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe it makes for more violent peole. I have met people from all walks of life, who have had "spankings" and they aren't even a bit violent.
    It all depends on when and where these spankings occur and if they are motivated through dicipline, or out of your own frustration with your kids. If your spanking to seek revenge, "punish" and/or take your frustration out on your child for "not listening" then there is a problem.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the 2nd anon.. I was spanked.. and MOST ppl my age were spanked.. and we're all fine. It's the new generation of My way is right.. and your way is wrong.. I personally don't have to spank because my child is well behaved.. BUT if I had to.. I would. People like you need lives! lol
    Anonymous

• Well I was spanked for ever little thing and I was no where near being a aggressive person.
    Anonymous

• I think it really depends on the parents doing the spanking and the children. I wasnt spanked... I was BEAT. Violently. With barstools, rollerblades, irons and so on. I dotn consider myself violent. For the most part if it came down to defending myself or my family then yes, I'd be as violent as I need to be. I agree with the 2nd ANON. If one is seeking revenge for something your child has done and figure spanking is the way, then yes you may be harming that child in much more than a physical way.
    Yes i've spanked my children. They are not violent. They wrestle but thats boys being boys. They are pretty wild, but not to the point where I am overly concerned. They have never lashed out at other kids like I see some kids doing. As each of my children get older we pursue other avenues of punishing bad behavior. I feel like unless I am seriously harming my children. How I discipline my kids is my buisness.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• now nothing. Parents who believe in spanking will continue to spank and parents who don't, still won't.
    Anonymous

• I don't support spanking but I agree it is based on the parents doing the spanking that determines how it will affect the child. i was spanked as a child and turned out fine. All of my brothers were spanked too and all but one is fine. He was beaten by our dad. He has some major issues and is currently spending some time in jail for his actions. I would have to say that it shows that violence has negative outcomes. We weren't beaten and we are fine but he was and isn't fine. Personally I am not a fan of spanking bc I want my children to use their brains and not react to a stimulus to know right and wrong. That is what spanking is. It is an immediate stimulus response. I do agree that that can be important in some situations that you need their immediate attention but I still prefer not to do it.

IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I was spanked, so I thought it was ok to hit. Then I'd get in trouble for hitting other kids. The message I got was, "It's ok for people to hit you but it's not ok for you to hit anyone else." Way to build a kid's self-esteem! It also taught me that I had no say in what happened to my body, so when my neighbor molested me I didn't realize I had a right to say no. My husband was never spanked and he is a calm, happy person with no anger issues.

Our son is 2 and he will NEVER be spanked! When he misbehaves it means he's frustrated, overstimulated, tired etc. So we re-direct him into another activity, or speak to him about why his behavior is unacceptable, or put him in time out, or lay him down for a nap. There are lots of gentle yet effective disciplinary methods, they take a little more time and effort but it's worth it if you want to raise a child who behaves properly AND loves himself AND respects his parents!
    Anonymous

• i think its a ton of crap. i think it is the technique parents use when "spanking". Regular spanking is ok. And I mean as long as you aren't swating out of anger, using belts and BEATING your kid, and explaining why the punishment.

I think when parents hit their kids in anger, essentially beating or similar, and don't tell them whats up, it can lead to aggression. When parents let out their anger and frustration on a child, THAT is the problem. Calm, rational spanking as a last resort is ok.

I was spanked when necessary as a kid. Im fine.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2010