Protein?

To build lean and toned muscle, would it help if I consume some type of protein supplement? I have a friend who is drinking protein shakes for this reason, but I don't know much about it. My brother used to drink protein shakes to build big and bulky muscle. Would this be beneficial to me? If so, how much should I consume, and how often? Should I only have extra protein on the days that I work out?

mama2br00ke

Asked by mama2br00ke at 4:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I drink a protein formula called Syntha-6, it tastes awesome and it has all of the necessary proteins/amino acids to fuel the optimal muscle production. For women it is a little more difficult to gain muscles so adding a protein supplement can really help. Also, unless you are really a very strict person and you stick to a very strick diet/nutrition plan, you may or may not be getting enough protein to build build muscle. I can give more info if you would like, just send me a message.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 5:34 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yoga.
    Anonymous

• i think extra protein in the form of shakes and bars are probably pointless, unless you have special health issues. the typical american diet is pretty high in protein as it is. if you want more protein then eat nuts as a snack throughout the week, or hard boiled eggs. i think our bodies recognize and use food more readily than shakes and bars and supplements. i think for overall health, it is best to focus on eating whole foods, colorful fruits and veggies, and cutting the processed foods.
    my dh does those protein shakes too. i ate bars when i was pregnant with twins.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh and you should shoot for drinking a shake/drink no more than 90 minutes after a workout. And you can use this as a meal but you need to be eating at least 5-6 small meals a day so you would be drinking a shake then eating about 2 hours later. And you dont have to only have the shakes on the days you workout, it really depends on your goals.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 5:37 PM on Apr. 13, 2010