question and opinion about stepdaughter situation

My stepdaughter(16) lives with my husband and I and our 2 daughters.We have a rule,no cell phone or text after 9pm.Her boyfriend sent a text to her phone at 2am and said"I'm outside your house."He was driving around with his friend and decided to drive into our subdivision.Did not come to the door but this makes us angry to think that they were wandering around our home.My S.D also deleted this text so we would not see it.Would any of you be angry about this.We were very angry but I want an opinion.Thank you.

wishes4me

Asked by wishes4me at 4:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't worry about incoming txts, but she better not be sending them out! Also...just an Idea off of my opinion of cell phones. they aren't for recreation. So...when she comes home, there's no reason for a cell phone right? If she were to go to a friends house she should take it or if she needed to call you for a ride somewhere she should take it with her, but when you get home...it's all for recreation....and i'm sure your paying for that recreation! lol So why not tell her when she has a job and can pay for it, she can use it for recreation, but in the mean time, it's on a need to use basis only. That'll end the 9pm or later txts!
    Anonymous

• oh, and ps.....why would he be outside at 2am....that's the BIGGER problem! lol
    Anonymous

• If my child was driving around past curfew, I would want to know; call the parents.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I would not worry, but I would not let them have the phone at bed time.

My daughter must hand it over, it is normal now in the house, kids tend to text alot at night.

As for letting the parents know hopefully, they don't allow that behaivor and will fix it. He needs to respect your house rules, even if he is not in your house. Your kids are in bed at a certain time, he should not be coming over period. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I would confront her and ask her why he thought it was ok to come by her house at 2 am? AND also the fact that she tried to hide that he came by at 2 AM. I would def take the cell phone at night. We have the 9 pm rule as well then the cell goes on the bar period.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'd be somewhat upset, but that's life she is 16 & growing up. Nothing really abnormal about the texting in the middle of the night. Have a calm talk with her and let her know that her boyfriend shouldn't be coming by your home at that time of the night...better yet talk to him yourself in a calm tone & let him know too that you aren't cool with him coming by at that time of the night. Whatever you do, try to address the issue without yelling cause then they both might shut down. AND I'd definitely keep a close eye on their relationship.
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 5:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2010