When will my period go back to normal after weaning?

My son stopped nursing at about 13 1/2 months (I slowly weaned, I started around 12 months and took about a week or a little longer in between weaning each feeding). He is 15 months now. My period has been somewhat off and I am just wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for my period to get back to normal?? Thanks!

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 4:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as it takes. This *might* be your new normal.

When my periods resumed, they were monthly for the first time in my life...and I wasn't happy about it. It took about eight years to get back to the 35-40 day cycle I'd always had before.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It should have already gone back to normal. Around the time of starting solids or the end of middle of the night feeding your periods should have returned. Even most moms that nurse A LOT and continure nursing usually get their periods back pretty regular around a year. If you are having unusually periods it's probably not because of breastfeeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Your periods may be different since having a child. You'll have to wait and see. But talk to your GYN.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It could take a while. My obgyn told me not to get concerned unless I went over three months with no period. But you should call just in case.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010