do keep toys in the living room?

if so how much?

and how do you store them?

and any storage ideas welcome, but im on a VERY tight budget so cant spend a whole lot on storage

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My kids live in the house with us and we allow their belongings in the living room just like ours. They get put in a toybox at night.
    Anonymous

• We bought a couple of HUGE totes at Big Lots ($10 or $20 each, I think?) and just throw everything in them.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I got a nice black book case type unit that has the square holes and got some black fabric boxes at IKEA to put in each hole. The bottom row is for toys...one box can be out at a time. Once they're done, it has to be cleaned up before another box can come out. The top row is for necessities so I don't have to run up and down the stairs all day. Diapers, wipes, burp clothes, blankets, changes of clothes, diaper cream, hair ties, brushes, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I bought two large canvas boxes that fit under my coffee table. I also covered a couple empty diaper boxes with wrapping paper and put toys in them on the bottom shelf of a bookshelf.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i like your idea angie =) i actually have some little crates and cloth storage bins and some wasted space under the entertainment center....
    Anonymous

• I also covered a couple empty diaper boxes with

i like that one too =) i can get my kids to help decorate the boxes with paint ..im loving these ideas
    Anonymous

• me and my daughter live in a basement suite, so, we kinda have to have toys in the living room..luckily its a pretty big space tho..but she keeps all her toys in the corner in 2 large totes, then i also use the coffee table (its pushed up in the corner against the wall)s and she uses that as her lil art centre, where she colours, draws, cut/glues stuff etc. works out good. most of the time..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I have a strict no toys out of your room rule. Only the baby gets a free pass right now because he is still learning. I want no signs that 5 kids live in my house other than Sesame Street playing on TV.  They have those big Tupperware containers in their rooms. The colors match the rooms.  Seriously, you could make up a color and find a Tupperware container in that color.  As for the other rooms, I have storage cubes.  I chose the cloth ones with the lids that double as ottomans.  Got those to match the room colors too.  I keep movies in one, Wii stuff in another, and diapers and wipes in the blue one.  Target for 20 bucks a pop and I love them. 

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No we did not... I found it tacky.
    I am a rather traditional mom and feel that toys are to be put away when they are done being played with.
    I feel there should be adult areas in the house and that toys should not be stored there.

I really do not like going to people's homes and seeing stuff every where... I believe things should have a place and be in that place unless being used.

I do understand that toys will end up in 'public' room when the living space is small... that is understanbable
    Anonymous

• I agree with sunshine06 mom. Its ok for him to play with them in the living room but never for them to stay. If I need to stat storing toys out in the living room then he has too may toys and its time to get rid of some.
    Anonymous