Help end this debate!

Our 21 month old daughter has had her ears pierced since she was 9 months old and we havent really had too many problems with them EXCEPT now she is constantly taking the earrings out! She wont leave them in for more than like 10 minutes. The problem with that is if I leave them out for too long a thin layer of skin starts to cover the hole and I have to poke through that everytime I put new earrings in. So I give up and I am not putting any more earrings in. I figure if they close up I will just get them redone when she is older. Well DH said I need to atleast try everyday to get earrings in her ears. Even if she takes them out atleast they wont be as likely to close. Our 3 1/2 year old DD has her ears pierced and DH said our youngest will be mad as she gets older that she wont have pierced ears. So who do you agree with? Whoever wins on here is what our final decision will be! Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wins? It shouldn't be about that right? I really think you should have waited till your daughter was old enough to decide for herself if she wanted earring or not personaly. Also, perhaps you should have thought about the fact that a almost 2 year old won't want earrings in, and that if you wanted to pay money for it, you'd have to keep on top of the whole earring thing.. That aside..it sounds like a trival thing..maybe you both should step back from the situation and realize, they aren't your ears.
    Anonymous

• well i think you should leave them out till she is older by the time she is aware enought o be upset about not having ear rings she will be old enough to decide if she wants them pierced or not my mom repeatedly pierced mine 5 times or so till i was ten and now i have crazy scar tissue not that that is gonna happen but i agree with you not DH
    supersarahmom89

Answer by supersarahmom89 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Let them grow in. She could hurt herself taking them out and she could choke on them. Plus it hurts to force earrings through even a semi closed hole. Don't put her through that.  And that's really time consuming for her not to even wear the things.  If she wants them done when she is older then do it. It's not like it's a huge expense or anything.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think it's pretty obvious she doesn't want earrings right now. Leave them out and quit torturing her by pushing them through the skin that has closed over the hole. When she gets old enough to notice that her sister has earrings, then she'll be old enough to get them pierced and take care of them.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Get different earings. My daughters earings basically have to be screwed on in the back and she can't get them off herself..
    kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 4:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• do you use the earrings with backings? or the lil hoops with hinges?? i would think that if you tried the hoops, it would be harder for her take them out..however if she is taking them out, maybe just leave them that way..and when she gets older if she wants earrings, she can get them re-done. she doesnt really understand the concept of earrings yet, so, its not like you can negotiate with her...orrrrr you could try bribing her, (but in my opnion, thats a lil extreme, just to keep earrings in) but you could try, if its that important to you guys.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Why would you pierce an infant's ears to begin with?
    Let them close. She won't care for awhile, and once she does she will be old enough not to take them out, know better.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• another thing you gotta think about is, screwing them on, or whatever ya do to make it harder for them to come out, she could tear her whole earlobe if she is that determined to take them out, i would just leave them out until she says shes ready.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• OP HERE___I didnt ask for rude comments. I undestand some people dont agree with piercing a childs ears but I dont see anything wrong with it. If you dont like it move on in your life and worry about your own kids. I asked for who you agree with, not whether or not you agree with a baby having earrings. And I wonder why I choose most of the time not to associate with females, Sheesh!
    Anonymous

• They sell infant earrings with safety backs. She won't be able to remove them and they won't hurt her. BTW to all those who are bashing her, mind your business! She didn't ask your opinion on should she pierce or not!
    Anonymous