Should i pay my mom for watching my 10m old?

i have a 10 month old little girl named Lyra. My mom watches her while I work at my job witch im a switchboard Operator at Hancock Bank and then Lyra’s dad works two jobs(which we are not together , he helps me out w my bill and buys Lyra’s weekly stuff she needs . She told me today that she want $1.00 an hour from me and her daddy. (So that’s like 40 a week from both of us) I got a new car like 2 months ago I pay a car note, insurance, cable and water bill. I know how much day care is and it’s expensive, and I dislike them bc how kids get sick … etc . I just look at this away im her daughter so she should watch her for free and her being her one and old grandchild and cherish that time she has with her . I buy my mom cigs when she needs it or she uses my car when she wants to go to the casino w her free play etc.

Should I pay her that much or just make the baby daddy pay for it?

lyrasmom

Asked by lyrasmom at 4:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's watching your child every day, then yes, you should pay. It's not like just asking her a favor once in a while. Watching a baby, especially as you age, gets hard and she deserves to be compensated.
    Anonymous

• Someone should pay her, if she wants to be paid. $2 an hour between the two of you is practically nothing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It's incredibly selfish of you to expect your mom to care for your daughter 40 hours a week, every week and not pay her. She did her time as a mom raising you. This should be her time and you are keeping her locked into a 40 hours a week commitment and not even wanting to compensate her. $40 a week for childcare is nothing. Pay your mom and thank her for being such a good bargain.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• YOu should pay your mom - she should never had to have even told you - you should have done it anyway or talked with her about this..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I take care of my grandson so I have thought about this. She can't ask for money from the father if you aren't together. You need to file for custody and support. If you don't do it he may find out he can file for custody and get support from you. If you keep asking for money someone may tell him about getting support form your and he may do it!

I don't think you should pay a grandmother. You sould provide everything the baby needs. If you can afford it then giving her $20 or more a week for her not in pay that would be nice. You could also give gift cards ect. My son gives me money to take my grandson out to eat at buffets. I get to eat and my grandson is free. It sounds like you are doing some of that now.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• YES! that is a job... I can hardly get my mom to watch the kids for an hour or two a week. Occasional time is one thing but a 40 hour work week is another.
    Perfection1908

Answer by Perfection1908 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• its called taking responsibility. your moms done raising kids. paying her 40/month is NOTHING!! would ya rather pay 400-500 at daycare??? if thats ALL your mom is asking for, id say you've got a pretty great mom!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'd pay. I think it's kinda odd, but my mom neither watches my kids 40 hours a week nor does she ask for pay when she does watch them. But if she did, and she asked, I would pay it. She's not working so the cash would help her out, and her watching the kids would help me out. Give and take. If you can't afford it, work out some kind of payment between the 3 of you. You could cut off your cable. You don't NEED it. I haven't had cable in 10 years and I survive. I actually no longer want it as a matter of fact.

BTW  I would ask her to replace the gas she uses in my car.  If I borrow a car I gas it up before I return it.  Manners.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You should pay her if you offer and she accepts or if she asks, which she has in this case. This is full time for her and she has given you a rate far below what you would be paying a professional to watch your child so I think you should definitely pay her. If this means you don't have extra money to buy her smokes, etc than that is understandable but she is providing you a service and should be compensated for doing so. Just because she is your mother and the baby's grandmother doesn't mean she is free labor. Would you expect her to clean your house or mow your lawn for free? It is a bonus that she will have a close bond with your child but this is not her obligation, it is your obligation.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My grandma used to watch my daughter at that age and i paid her- it wasn't much but it was something at least.
    Having done babysitting in my home- I would never expect ANYONE to watch a child for free...unless they offered for like an hour or two.

Your mom had her kids and is done with that- I think it's really nice that she is willing to watch your kid-and asking for 40 or even 80 bucks a week for watching her for 40 hours plus is a pretty awesome deal. Ultimately it IS a job-even if it is her grandchild.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2010