What is a polite way of telling people that my DD doesn't need anything (gifts) for her second birthday?

I don't want to come off rude or snobby or anything but she has SO MUCH CRAP she just doesn't need anything.
By crap, it isn't junk, she just has a LOT of stuff.. clothes, shoes, books, puzzles, toys, craft items, etc. She doesn't need or want anything.

Point being, I was thinking of putting a note on her invites saying something about it.. but would that be rude? It is basically all family, and I don't think they would take offense.. but who knows..

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it is family and friends, tell them the why of the request, I am sure some will be delighted there is no gift involved.

Answer by older at 5:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i agree that some will probably be happy not to spend the money.
    but good luck not getting anything for her birthday. people LIKE and WANT to give gifts to children, especially on their birthday.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Maybe ask for small token gifts? That is what we plan on doing for DD's second, since her birthday is two weeks before Christmas I don't want people going hog-wild with gifts like they did last year; she only plays with about half the toys she has. Just explain that she has plenty to family, and put a note on the invites to the effect that you either want small tokens or nothing, and people may just have to deal with it. You're the parents, you have to live with the toys, what you say goes. Or you could request gift cards "so you can get her what she needs/wants to avoid returns" or something like that.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• just tell them to brings themselves but if they brings things anyway there are many charities and homeless shelters to give the things to.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Our kids are spoiled in the material way... they have too much of EVERYTHING and dont ever play with any of it - and are constantly complaining of being bored. So... we set up bank accts in each of their names and for bdays and some holidays (who needs another stuffed rabbit on Easter anyway?) we ask for a donation. This goes to their college funds, and if they choose not to go to college, will be their "moving out" money to get them started on their own.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If you don't want to ask for a donation to their accounts (some folks may take offense at this..), you might just ask that instead of gifts that they make a donation in your child's honor to a children's charity. You can even suggest a couple. it also helps to teach your child about giving to others who have less.. put the information right in the invitation.
    Anonymous

• i doubt it will make a difference...if i read that i would still bring a gift,but i guess you can write "no gifts needed" come and party with us,something along those lines
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Does your child do activities? We plan on asking from now on instead of gifts that they donate to the funding of their activities. That way the whole family can help my child succeed in gymnastics (DD) and soccer (DS) There is so much that comes with that stuff like registration fees and outfits that the little bit helps, it gives the rest of the family the warm and fuzzies, and you don't have more toys cluttering up the house (as there are in mine lol)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Usually people will call ahead of time to ask what kind of gifts your child may want for her b-day. This is the perfect opportunity to let them know of your wishes. Personally, I wouldn't be offended if you asked for a cash gift (or donation) in lieu of a toy-not at all.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I know how you feel cause my mom and relatives feel they need to bring "a little something" everytime they visit! (we live a few hours away, so it is usually every month or so) Things have a way of coming off funny in writing, but maybe you could tell people in person or on the phone? Also, I considered telling people, "next time you want to bring a gift, just take the cash equivolent put it away for their college fund!"

I suppose another way of putting it would be, "Please include a gift reciept" (that way you could return it and put the cash in their college fund!"
    Anonymous