So she called my baby a 'monster'! Any other mothers been there?

I have a really tall, chubby 10 month old baby girl and she's pretty strong and active for her age. Consequently I'm constantly having to rein her in when we go to baby groups, as she is very friendly but doesn't know her own strength yet. I understand that she's bigger than a lot of other babies her age and we're always careful to be considerate of other children in social situations.

So, we were at the park today and my DD began crawling over to an older toddler. This little boy must have been intimidated by her as he asked his mother to 'go, up, up' to be held. To which she replied 'don't worry you want to get away from the MONSTER baby!' At first I just tried to brush it off, but then I thought how rude! Call my baby big, call her tall or even huge if you wish, but don't call her a monster! She's a sweet girl who always has a smile and a giggle for everyone.

So, as we were leaving, I approached this woman and said CONT.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Proud owner of a MONSTER myself,,, now he is 5 and although normal height and weight, not normal in his outgoingness,,, he loves to talk and meet people,,hmm wonder where he got that from, lol. I had the neighbor ask me if I could get him to quit talking and asking questions to her! I am trying my best to reign him in, he honestly is the most inquisitive child I have ever met! My friends think he will be a politician someday--me thinks lady in the park should take a good long look in the mirror! I think because he was "big" when he was little, it actually gave him confidence in himself! Keep on going to the park, and give her a hug from me!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• OP.. "Look, you might not have realized what you said, but when you described my baby as a monster, I kinda felt that was really thoughtless. I know she's big, but she's not a monster and no child should be described that way. Please make better choices with your words next time"

She apologized which was great, but I'm just getting a little tired of always being considerate of other peoples children when I'm out with my daughter, but people just can't seem to show ME AND MY baby the same courtesy. I beginning to feel as though I don't want to take her to baby groups anymore until she can walk. Humph! need a cyber hug really!
    Anonymous

• I think maybe it was more meant to her own child. Kinda making fun of him because his scared of a baby.
    Anonymous

• My baby is HUGE. Like in the 99th% for height and weight, and has been since she was like 6 weeks old.. She is big and pudgey and sometimes it makes her look goofy, but she is 100% perfect! You shouldn't take what this woman said into consideration, because just as you said, your baby is happy and healthy, and is all that matters!

But here is a cyber hug just in case. **Hug** :-)
    Anonymous

• A big cyber hug from me to you!!!!!!! what you replied was much more nicer than what I would have said, but that classifies you as a classy mom, you are right no reason to refer to any baby as a monster, I am sure she is a cutie regardless of her size.

Answer by older at 5:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Well it didn't seem that way, but even so, she's still teaching her son that it's OK to describe other children that are different than him as monsters, and that's not right on so many levels!
    Anonymous

• Thanks, I know it seems silly, but it just got to me today you know!
    Anonymous

• Here's a HUG for you! I kind of know how you feel. My 16 month old is tall and skinny and looks like a two year old really. She's half my height already. I get jokes all the time about my daughter being bigger than I am, and I also get the "she's sooo skinny" all the time. She's the right weight, her height is just like 8 months ahead, she actually jumped curves at her 15 month checkup. She used to be a little chunk- short and stocky, then all of a sudden she just shot up! She is also VERY curious about other babies, and very friendly with kids, and isn't used to kids that are taller than her, so if she sees a taller kid, she walks right up to them and gets as close as she can and tries to talk to them lol. They are never quite sure how to react.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My DD is teeny tiny and people always comment on how little she is. She is 3.5 yr old and her brother will turn 2 in 4 days and he's the same size she is! It's not just that my DD is small, it's that my DS is huge! He looks like he should be going to school. People talk to him like he's a school age kid then looked shocked when he talks his baby talk. Not only do others call him a monster, but I do as well. He's my little monster man. Maybe this mom just meant it affectionately playful as do I when talking about my own monster. Please don't let her comments ruin your day. It's not worth it. Your baby is happy and healthy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• (((((((((hug))))))))))))) well mommy all i can say is WELCOME!! to the only beginning of what you are gonna have to face as a mom.. people say very mean things ..you wait,one of my friends asked my other friend if her DD was going thru her UGLY stage..thats mean.. some one i know whos child is really big got told by an adult (the child did) "oh whenever i see you i think of cookies,or like you want cookies" umm thats evil :( i been told my son is so much cuter now because as baby he was so ugly,i been told wheres your "white son"... my really good friend was told by a child about 7 y/o "eww is that your new baby? he is ugly"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010