my 7 month baby is sick with ear infections and a congestion, he is eating solids no problem but not taking the formula, and i dont have pedillyte in the house and dont want to take him out so i can water it down and give him gatorade??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No gatorde ever for a baby. I will look for the way to make oral rehydration solution.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I don't think so pedilyte had many nutrition's and electrolytes that she need and water down gatorade won't get it. Is there no one you could send to the store?
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i think water is better than gatorade. if he is eating, you probably don't need to worry about electrolytes. you could add a little juice to the water to make it more appealing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• He probably is having the same crud my DS just had. He's probably not taking his drink because he can't breathe. Can you offer it to him by straw? Use your forefinger to plug one end and put just enough in it to give him a little drink at a time.

My doctor said that since DS was so congested and couldn't breathe clearly, that he would not take a drink from his bottle or cuppy because he needed his nose to help it down. I did find though, with DS, using the straw worked for him.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No. You cannot give a baby a sports drink. You shouldn't let anyone under two consume one of those. They are loaded with so much sodium that they can really mess a baby up. Pedialyte ins't recommended for infants either and you can also really throw your baby's body balance off by watering down his formula. You need, need, NEED to get your sick baby to drink his formula. My baby had RSV this past winter and wouldn't nurse because she couldn't breathe when she closed her mouth to latch, so I pumped some milk and fed it to her with a surynge, the kind you get with Motrin and other infant medicines. You could feed your baby formula this same way. I also took her into the bathroom and ran a steamy shower with the bathroom door closed and as soon as the steam opened her up, I got her to latch and feed. Use a steamy bathroom to open up your baby's sinuses then feed him a bottle.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You have to have salt substitute to make the oral rehydration solution. That's what adds the potassium that keeps the baby's electrolytes in balance. Electrolytes have to do with kidney and heart and other organ function. That's why you don't want to use gatorade, the electrolytes aren't right for a baby. While I was reading I found out apple juice is bad to give also.

It would be better to take him out than other options. You might try formula in a sippy cup.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You also may be able to get him to sip his formula from a regular cup. It's worth giving it a try.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Unless your baby is over 1 year old, Pedialyte is not recommended. Consult your pediatrician first.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 7:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010