when are you technically 5 months pregnant?

is it 17 or 18 weeks? or either?

rahrahsmama

Asked by rahrahsmama at 6:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 20 weeks cause im 6 and half months today and im 26 weeks
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Neither... its 5 months after your LMP. For example, if your LMP was Jan 1st then you are 1 month on Feb 1st, 2 months on March 1st... and 5 months on June 1st. This is gonna cause a bunch of debates because everyone is going to say that there are 4 weeks in a month so every 4 weeks you become a new month (they will answer you question by saying "20 weeks") but you are only pregnant for 9 months 6 days (from LMP to EDD) and the way they all add it up makes it seem like you are pregnant for 10 months
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• see... told you thats what people would say
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thirteen weeks is 3 months which ends your 1st trimester. Remember, 4 weeks does not equal one month 4 weeks and two to three days equals one month. So, neonangel, you are actually only about 6 months, not six and a half. Basically, multiply # of months by 4, then add an extra week for every three months. So for five months x 4 weeks, add a week plus about four days, and you get around 21.5 weeks = 5 months.
    Anonymous

• thankz ladies!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 7:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• There are 4 weeks in a month. So 5 months times 4 equals 20 weeks. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Louise... how do you figure?? If there were 4 weeks in a month there would only be 28 days in a month (4 weeks mult. by 7 days in a week) and considering there is only 1 month with only 28 days, then there is more than 4 weeks in a month. Here's the math for all of you (this is a long time debate on here and it drives me INSANE)
    52 divided by 12 (52 weeks in a year/ 12 months in a year) equals 4.3333 sooooo.. there are 4 1/3 weeks in a month
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• You can count by weeks, or up from your LMP, but for simplicity's sake I counted backward from my due date. So if I were due on July 1 (for example), on June 1 I'd be 8 months, on May 1 I'd be 7 months, on April 1 I'd be 6 months ... and so on. Is it technically the "correct" way, maybe not, but at least that way you end up 9 months pregnant at the end.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• According to the baby books I have, it states that the fifth month includes weeks 18, 19, 20, 21, 22. It is one of the long months. I interpret this as saying that at 20 weeks you are in your fifth month but only completed 4 1/2 months. This is according to the "What to expect when you are expecting" book anyway. I am in my 17th week, so I am about to end my fourth month and at 17 weeks and one day I will begin my fifth. I'm not sure why the third, fifth, and one other month are given the extra weeks but either way we are all looking about 40 weeks of time.
    littlebehr1

Answer by littlebehr1 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010