Do you hang clothes on a clothesline?

I don't own a dryer so I hang my clothes outside on nice days and on my inside clothesline the other days. Anyone else hang their clothes out to dry?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 7:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I hang my things on an indoor clothesline, as we are not permitted to hang things outside, per our lease. I also have a dryer, so if things are stiff, I will toss them in the dryer on "air"(no heat) for 10 minutes with a couple of tennis balls to beat the wrinkles out & fluff the clothes. I use the dryer for drying stuff like towels & blankets that I don't have room to hang in our apartment and I also use the tennis balls with them, too, 'cause they dry faster (so less time in the dryer) and are fluffier, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• we did for years but they frown on it in apartment complexes. i never could get them to be soft though. they were always so stiff.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do. It is a lot cheaper then the dryer. But we do have a dryer. I dry my towels and under things in it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• no. I remember when i was a kid my granny would always and the clothes smelled so good. Once i tried hanging them out and they had a polluted smell. Maybe its because i live in the city but it smelled nothing like what i remembered.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I hang everything I can out when I can, except for my under garments, I hang them in the basement to dry. No one else in the family seems to mind when I hang their under garments out on the line so until they say other wise, I will continue to try to save money by hanging the laundry outside. I wonder what it actually costs to run the dryer?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• "I wonder what it actually costs to run the dryer?"

I don't know about newer dryers but when we got rid of our old one our electric bill was $30 less per month.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 7:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes! I love hanging clothes out on the line. They smell so fresh...and the sun naturally bleaches the whites.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I do all summer. I want an indoor rack for the winter but suspect my son would have the clothes all over the place lol!
    Anonymous

• I try too, moved into my now husband house last spring and his garage is so ready to fall down the hook comes right out once I hang something. I'm buying those metal clothes poles this season because I can't bare the thought of paying for using a dryer when fresh air is free.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Oh and as far as indoors....my BIL smokes in the basement (he lives in our upstairs apartment, we own a double) and it stinks to high heaven....I couldn't hang clothes down there. But I did just put my foot down and say this is now a non-smoking house, so perhaps this next winter I can hang them downstairs, don't know if they'd smell musty or not though.

Of course when I lived in Northern NY near Amish they hung their clothes out even on -30 degree winter days. hehehehe
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2010