How long do you use your mascara before you buy another one?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• 6 months is an average and usually given as a general "rule". Optimally, 3-6 months...it also depends on how many times you use it. If you use it everyday & especially if you have sensitive eyes 3 months is most optimal.

Also try not to move the applicator in & out several times...many women do this thinking it helps mix their mascara up, but what it actually does is add more air into the mascara & this isn't "good"...you want minimal air in your mascara tube.

Whenever you get an eye infection, especially conjunctivitis (pink eye), stys, or sick to the point of needing antibiotics, always toss your mascara, liquid liners & pencil eye liners.

Never share your mascara, liquid eyeliner or eye pencils with anyone else. If someone else uses them, toss them out...even if you've only had the mascara a week. Same rule should apply with all makeup, but especially any makeup used on the eyes and secondly, any makeup used on the lips.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 7:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Until it's absolutely dead...lol I heard you can put warm water (just a drop or two) to losen it up..lol We don't have a lot of money...or even just money to splurge on new stuff so we have to make it last! :)
    Anonymous

• every three months.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I don't use mascara. I have a tube that's probably been in there for years. It always ends up UNDER my eye when I wear it, and sometimes IN my eye!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• The product suggestion is 6 months. The reason for this is because bacteria can grow in there.. potentially leading to infections of the eye and surrounding area. Among other things. I probably get new mascara every 2-3 months. Mainly because I get bored or fed up with the one I have and want something new and different. Always looking for the next best. Tho, for about two years straight I stuck with the same brand because I loved it! Smashbox!
    Hottiehp21

Answer by Hottiehp21 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Mascara should be changed every three months. Once it is opened, it doesn't matter how often you use it. It is a matter of hygiene. Think of it this way:the cost of an average brabd is far less than the cost of doctor visits and drugs you'll need if you are infected. Plus: you can change colours according to the seasons!
    TheGreenGreek

Answer by TheGreenGreek at 1:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Until the the wheels fall off.

When it gets a little dry I add mixing medium and it's like new.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:01 PM on Apr. 13, 2010