Bird Nest Question

For the past few springs the same bird builds her nest in a tree in my backyard and lays eggs. But this year there's a nest with eggs but no mama bird. Do they leave their eggs once they've laid them for some reason? Or did something happen to the mama bird? Anyone know?

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Either mama is no longer around or it could be that the eggs are bad. Or maybe the mama only comes at night.
    Anonymous

• Or it could be someone or something has messed with her eggs. If that happens, its likely she abandoned them.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 8:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Mama birds aren't as quick to abandon their babies as people think, so I'm guessing something happened to the mama. If you know what kind of bird it is, check the internet to see how long its eggs take to hatch. If they don't, they're duds and you can discard them.

I once had two baby robins (near fledgeling) blown out of their nest during a storm. I called my local wildlife rescue, and they advised me that robins are good mothers. All I had to do was put the babies in a basket and hang the basket as high as I could in the tree where mama bird was having her hissyfit. Mama bird went back and forth to the basket feeding the babies until they left home.
    Amy0481

Answer by Amy0481 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2010