How do i get my 2 yr old to stop hitting?

my 2 yr old is always hitting i put him in time out but it doesnt seem to work. he laughs at me and when he gets out he turns around 3o mins to an hour later hitting and throwing things. how do i get this to stop?

ebarrentine

Asked by ebarrentine at 8:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol. oh. those are the troublesome toddlers.
    just keep putting him in time out. over and over and over again. it's okay if he laughs at you. don't talk to him. just be consistent. after timeout make sure that he knows why he was there. AND talk to him about what he CAN do instead of hitting.
    it won't stop it. he'll still hit until he see's that you mean what you say.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Continue the discipline routine. I had the same issue.. at 2 (ish) a lot of their anger come for their lack of ability to communicate. As they get more words, and can actually vocalize to you their needs and frustrations. It tends to subside some. Now that my son is older and can express himself better.. the angry tantrums, throwing and hitting has let up. Only when he cant fully communicate his needs.. do those actions return.
    Good luck and hang in there!
    ~Heather
    Hottiehp21

Answer by Hottiehp21 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I'd spank his butt or slap his hand. He may not get that hitting hurts. Having to sit for a minute or 2 is not really punishment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Hitting him back won't work. It just teaches them that hitting is a way to express yourself. I'm not a "don't ever spank" kind of momma, but I do know that DS is WAAAY more physical and agressive when I do use spankings as punishment. Keep doing what you're doing. A time out will work to remove him from the situation. Give it time. DS is 3 and still gets put in the corner regularly.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 11:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• if time out is something he laughs at ,,, make it worse. make him stand with his hands up. or something else that he wont like doing. make it a real punishment. make it longer. whatever you want but make it something he doesnt wanna do.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My approach when timeouts didn't work was to put him in his room for a while (or use his car seat or stroller if you're out). I just use this as my "last resort" since I wanted to make sure he understood being put in his room because he was misbehaving vs bedtime/naptime (which he sometimes also protested).
    Anonymous