When you garden outside do you have a play pen for your child? My child is 10 months and someone suggested I put her in a play pen outside. They said it was a large octogan gate/fence. Is it worth it? What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We never had a play pen per say, we just fenced in the back and side yards, and made a GIANT "play pen!" They could explore on their own from the time they could crawl, and I could do my gardening, and yard work! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• If they are talking about the plastic fence - play yard type thing I have that. I would only use it if your child does not eat grass and anything else they find on the ground. That is why I don't use mine out there. I don't want to drag her actual play pen outside every time I work outside so I bring her stroller out and she sits in it until I'm done hanging laundry or getting it back down. If you think the play yard would work for your baby, I don't see any harm in having her in it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I just put a pack and play out there with me.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 8:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It is hard to do yard work with a baby/toddler and theres no fence,isn't it? lol. I have that problem too. Last summer, my daughter wasn't walking yet so I was lucky, I just put her on a big blanket with some toys or had her next to me in her stroller. This year is different...she is very mobile! lol. I am going to be investing in an outdoor playard for sure. You can even buy extra panels to make it larger if you want.But for now, I have her in the garden right with me and I gave her a little shovel to dig and play. I don't mind if she eats a little dirt or grass,or gets a little dirty,lol. She stays pretty entertained doing that and I actually got half of one of the flower beds done today.It was fun. Good Luck ma! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Out backyard is fenced in, so my 12 mo old just plays with his older brother while I work. I sometimes also put him on my back in the ergo... he only tolerates that for so long before wanting down, though.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2010