witchcraft..cont.

First, I want to Thank everyone for their help! And I hope I didn't offend anyone with y question, because I sure didn't mean too :) Now, my 16 y/o wants to have her friends over to start a coven. This is still okay, right? Thanks!!!

hmkr38

Asked by hmkr38 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i would watch them from "afar" just to make sure they aren't hurting themselves or anyone else. you never what kids will do if they have seen it on tv or read it in a book
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Even though I am Pagan I agree that you should keep a watchful eye. Not because of the Coven but because ALL teens need to be observed when they want to gather for any reason. Heck I don't care if it is a Bible study group, they still need to be watched.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Any real wiccan coven is perfectly harmless and can be very beautiful. As I told you with the other question though, there are always those who take what they see on TV and believe it's a real representation of Wicca or Witchcraft. So like the PP I suggest if this is not an established coven, which I'm gathering it's not, that you keep an eye out at least at first, or even join in. Please continue to read up on the beliefs and practices and encourage your daughter to do so as well. This way you both know what is going on and what to expect. Knowledge is the real power here. And as always, I'm more than open to questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Exactly what sabrina says. I agree also on you continuing to ask questions. That is such a good idea.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• By all means keep an eye on them. When one is young and inexperienced with spells and rituals, it is easy to make mistakes. Sometimes hurtful ones.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Personally, i would make sure it was okay with their parents. Although i am not the kind of parent that is bothered by religious differences, some parents are. I would hate to see you on the wrong end of a hateful and possibly threatening person simply because of allowing your daughter and some friends to explore their spirituality together.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No, it's not alright. As the adult you can be charged with a crime from the parents of the other teenagers for allowing them to be exposed to another religion in your home. It is for this very reason that MOST Pagans WILL NOT teach underage seekers. It's alright for a parent to teach their child but not for you to teach your neighbours child without permission. Please do not allow this to happen. You risk much.

If you do get permission, it best be written, signed, stamped and notarized!

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I do know in our Pagan group we either want them to be 18 or have a parent with them when we have meetings.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I personally would not allow a gathering as such. As a parent, it could be upsetting if one was to find out that you were allowing this without their permission. Not ALL parents are as open minded to a different belief system especially Wicca. Talk to your dd and explain to her why you feel that a gathering of such should not be held, at least not yet...
    If you know some of these other girls parents well enough, have you thought about talking to them and getting their approval for their dd to join in such a group.?
    Religion is a touchy subject across the board as it is, but when you say *Coven* or *Wicca* instant fear pops up and the worse thoughts are produced...
    Maybe help your dd find a Pagan group that she can attend with your permission and or your attendance as well... allow her to see what takes place (along with yourself) in a Coven/Pagan group meeting...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Agreed.

I wouldn't want my daughter going to bible-study, etc., without my permission and/or participation.

Make sure the parents are on board. If not just because of how squirrelly many folks are about religion. Not to mention how many still hold the ignorant misconception that anything not of their god must be of their devil.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2010