Question about injury to 4 year olds teeth...

My son was coming down the slide and hit his top two front teeth on the slide. I can tell that it knocked on of the teeth back. It isn't loose but there is a small bit of blood around it. My dentist doesn't have Emergency service. I'm not sure what to do or if there is anything that can be done? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With juvenile teeth there is really nothing they can do. If it is chipped they can do a filling. But if it is loose there is nothing they can do to save it. It may be the gums bleeding. Have him gargle with salt water (for as long as he is willing- up to a minute a few times a day). It will help with inflamation. Give him childrens tylenol or motrin if he is in pain. And an ice pack if his mouth is swollen.
    But really nothing can me done.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• When I was 5 I slipped and hit my front 2 teeth on the tile floor.
    1 tooth turned black, which means it died, and the other was loose.
    I had them both extracted. The black one was not lose but if you leave it in it can cause infection.
    Adult teeth will grow in a few years. Possibly sooner every child is different.
    Watch for that also.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Get him to the dentist asap. If you dont take care of this now it could cost you a fortune later on braces! If it can wait until morning take her in asap. If not and your child is in pain go to the ER they have doctors there that specialize in accidents like this.
    Anonymous

• I doubt that this will have any effect on whether this 4yo needs braces in the future.

My son did this by somehow knocking his teeth on his sister's head. We gave him motrin and gave him a cold cloth to hold on his teeth. You can call your dentist in the morning; it is unlikely there is anything to be done.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• you want the dentist to look at it and xray to see that it is okay. my boss' kid did that falling from a booster seat and they pulled her front two teeth because they were jammed up into her permanent teeth and would have made them very crooked if they stayed there. there was no way to straighten them w/o pulling them out. best of luck!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2010