My son's allergies part two

My poor son is a victim to seasonal allergies. Last week he missed 2 1/2 days from school due to allergies and pink eye(Well what we THOUGHT was pink eye). This weekend his allergies attacked him. I took him to school this morning, he was fine. i went and had lunch with him today and stayed for about the first 15 minutes of recess and he was fine. I get home and not even an hour later I see "Rogers public schools" on the caller id. The nurse called to tell me that B needed his eye drops. He already had his eye drops this morning and wasn't due for another dose til tonight. She then continued to tell me that his eyes were swelled and he couldn't open them without pain.

I get to the school and low and behold, the whites of the eyes were swelled to almost golf ball size. I am so glad I called the doctor before I went to get him. Yep, allergies again! The doctor was finally able to get his eyes open and cleansed. continued...

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Wow, his dad only pays $37 a week in CS and complains? What a tool. If you have a Sam's club, their generic Zyrtec has the exact same ingredients as regular Zyrtec and it works just as well. For the same price of 1 month of Zyrtec, you get a year's supply of Sam's club's generic.

The allergy shots are wonderful. They have to build up in your system before you see results. My dr said most people start seeing relief from their symptoms after about 8 to 10 weeks on the shots, but my allergies are so severe that I started to notice a difference at 4 weeks. Allergy shots just go in a deeper layer of skin and not into the muscle like most standard shots. The prick is teeny tiny and it isn't a painful shot at all. It's about like an acupuncture stick. He will get very used to the shots and it will just become part of his normal routine before you know it. I've been on the shots for 6 years now.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• She prescribed another set of eye drops and with instructions to keep him home(AGAIN) til his eyes cleared up and NO RECESS unless the pollen count is down AND for him to take a shower as soon as he gets home to wash away all the pollen and whatever other crap is floating in the air.

We get to the pharmacy and wait....and wait...Then come to find out ARkids doesn't want to pay for an expensive necesarry medication(We have part B so I STILL have a co-pay anyway!). The pharmacist got a hold of the on call doctor since it was "after hours" by the time we got out of the doctors office. We were able to get him something else similar to the script the doctor wrote.

Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I called dickhead to let him know what was going on. He FINALLY called back(after trying in vain to get a hold of him for the past 2 weeks!!!) . Of course I get the speach,"This wouldn't happen if he lived in Indiana, blah blah blah....I'm a bad mom...blah blah blah...What did I do to Ben to make his allergies like this....blah blah blah...."

God what a f*cking @$$HOLE!!!

Poor B can't goto school til his eyes clear up and can't go outside for recess unless the pollen count is down. I wish I could take all this crap he's going through with his allergies for him.

I feel so helpless and alone right now....
    Starfire73

• Does anyone have a child that has allergies THIS bad?! How did you handle the stress of feeling alone with this(or is this just a me thing here?)
    Any advice?
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Are you still just seeing a pediatrician about this or are you taking him to an allergist? He needs to get in to see a really good pediatric allergist. I take shots once a week for my allergies and they have greatly improved my quality of life.

The only allergy I have, and I have a lot, that make my eyes swell shut is cats. If I get cat dander in my eyes all I can do is take a shower (have to get every ounce of dander off of me and out of my hair) take a Zyrtec and sleep it off.

Be sure to have him shower both morning and night. You want to keep dander and pollen off of him as much as possible.

Also, if you typed that right and the whites of his eyes swelled on not his eye lids, then I think you're looking at a food allergy or drug allergy.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Just saw your other posts. I was the child with allergies that bad...well worse. A dose of penicillin almost killed me when I was 5 years old. I was in and out of hospitals from newborn to 4 years old when they finally took my tonsils out, which did help. Before allergy shots, I needed a cortisone shot once every 3 months just to keep my immune system strong enough to fight off various respiratory illnesses. I also have a ton of food allergies. My first cousin and niece are also just as bad.  I also have a severe latex allergy.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes, I did type the whites of his eyes. It's not a food allergy. He has been to an allergist. I'm looking for one closer to us though.
    I think that's going to be the next step is allergy shots. I know he's going to hate them, but hopefully they will help.
    I have him take showers as soon as he walks in the door after school and in the morning before school. I just took the trash out and you could see the pollen settling on the cars outside. It looks like a yellowy-greenish powder.
    I asked his dad to help with buying some zyrtec. He replied,"I pay $37.00 a week. What are you doing with all that money? Your sitting on a pile of it!"
    I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him. I'm waiting on a court date to get a raise in child support since the amount I get now is based on when he was making minimum wage.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Oh, and he did get his tonsils and adnoids out June 08' and that did help with the chronic strept throat. I swear this kid has been in and out of hospitals and doctors offices sooo much the past 5 years!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• To give you an idea of how well the shots work, I'm a 4++ to cats and we have an indoor cat. My eyes used to swell shut if I even touched him. Now I live with him daily with no troubles.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son had severe allergies (yep, I wrote had).....After him getting sick so much and me constantly being told there was nothing else they could do for him, blah, blah, blah, I took him to an immunologist. Turns out that my son didn't have "regular" allergies, he had an immune dysfunction and once we treated for that, he's been fine ever since. Maybe, considering the severity of your child's allergies, you should consider taking him to see a pediatric immunologist, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2010