I need advice on how to take one day at a time.

I am a first time mom to a beautiful, healthy 3 month old baby girl. adjusting to motherhood has taken a little longer than I expected, but I am getting there. I find myself always saying I cannot wait until she crawls or walks or talks. I know I may regret not enjoying this stage of her life, but I can't help it, I just can't wait until she is a little less dependant on me. Am I awful for feeling this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i felt that way too. i just always tried to enjoy everything she could do in the moment and teach her new things and strengthen her muscles.
    Anonymous

• No. I was kind of the same way. Being a first time mom is alot of excitement but very emotionally draining at the same time. My 6 month old just started the crawling process last week and let me tell you, it is quite depressing she is becoming mobile. I do miss the days when I could just hold her and my arms were the only place she wanted to be. Now I only get that at nap & bed time lol.
    Just try to cherish these moments the best you can.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I felt that way too, so you are not alone. To stay in the moment, I focused on my gratitude and made note of every little thing. Time truly goes much faster than you think. My kids are now teenagers and some days, I find myself wishing they were babies again.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I recommend starting a scrapbook--a place where you can creatively chronicle and reflect on the past few months--and even including the last months of your pregnancy--your hopes, your plans, for your daughter, etc.. Maybe if you start reflecting on the good times you've shared in these past few months, you'll realize how much she's grown (even in just 3 short months), how she looks at you, how she smiles, etc....things she didn't do at birth, and make you appreciate what you have now, and what you have to look forward to. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No, but she'll always depend on you in one way or another
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• It's normal - don't feel bad. Those first few months are just hard in a lot of ways, but they are also so sweet. Think of those little moments when she's snuggled up asleep in your arms, or when she's just watching you with those big eyes (I liked to prop my little guy up against my knees and talk or sing to him). It does honestly get a little easier when they get more independent, but I miss the snuggles. Pictures help keep things in the moment a lot (even pics of the crying jags), and so do videos (if you got the equipment). And just breathe! Don't try to be perfect, and don't worry about the dishes or the laundry for the moment. Try to set some time each day to just breathe her in and enjoy the moment. Good luck!!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You're normal! Lorikeet's idea was a great one.

Nothing to feel bad about here.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You're normal =) I felt exactly the same way and now I have a beautiful little 16 month old running around... and let me tell you it's so much fun! I can barely remember the first few months. It'll come faster then you think!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 14, 2010