My 11 1/2 month old son is on a nursing strike. I am offering him lots of water and fruit to keep him hydrated. He doesn't like cow milk or juice. How many wet diapers should a 1 yr old have in this situation?

erinjb

Asked by erinjb at 9:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aww. I assume this is just your cycle (it's new, it irritated him that it was different!) and it probably won't be as bad next time.. assuming you're not pregnant.

Of course lots of things can spurn nursing strikes. A car horn beeping, a car door slamming, a siren wailing by while they nurse, you jumping for some reason.. They'll be like "AHH! That happened and it scared me while I was nursing so it must be nursing that made that happen!" (baby logic ;) ) and then refuse to nurse for 3 days to a week! Sometimes it is hormones, too. It happens. It usually resolves when something changes. Have you tried nursing in different spots of the house? What about walking and nursing? Have you tried going outside to nurse?

I don't think pushing other forms of milk on him will help. I think you just need to ride this out. Expect about 4 diapers in a situation like this. Less than 3 is bordering on dehydration, so 4 is OKAY.
    Anonymous

• Try lactaid or soy milk. see if he likes those.
    He may prefer formula to bm now.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Pump some milk and give it in a sippy.

Also, troubleshoot what may be causing him to not want to nurse. I nursed my DD until she was 18 months and never experienced a nursing strike. I tend to believe something causes them, like thrush, teething, or if you are giving too many solids and not offering to nurse before the solids.

A 1 year old should be drinking plenty of water. If you can get him to nurse 3 to 4 times a day, drink several sippies of water, and eat 3 healthy balanced meals and 2 snacks daily, then he's getting what he needs.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I agree try other kinds of milk.
    He should have a wet diaper avery 2-3 hours. Dehydration worry is once it has hit 6 hours.
    Good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions of the other kinds of milk. This has been going on for 5 days. He used to nurse 6-7 times/day.
    I have been pumping and offering in every kind of cup/bottle/sippy cup under the sun. I've tried mixing it with yogurt and other food. He will not take it and pushes my breasts away. He was upest the first few days, clingy and cuddly. We have not had any changes to routines, food or products.
    I agree that something has caused it. I think the milk is off due to hormonal reasons (my cycle returning). I've read that some babies are extra sensitive to these hormonal changes that can alter the milk. We are working on getting extra cuddles, lots of skin to skin and quiet, no-pressure opportunities to nurse. He will now at least fall asleep with his head on my bare chest and will put the nipple in his mouth but not suck. I'm not forcing it because he seems to be coming around and I am hopeful the strike will end
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 9:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Are you pregnant?
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• my ds did that at 10 months because i was pregnant.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I don't think so but it is possible. I read that your hormones can change a week after you ovulate (timing would be right) and that can alter the milk, as can pregnancy. Some babies are sensitive to these changes so much that some mothers can pinpoint when the conceived based on their toddler going off the milk. I'm thinking that since he is starting to be more receptive that maybe the hormones are going back to normal and the millk is too. Time will tell. My next period isn't due for 10 more days so I'll take a test then.
    I'm just used to so many wet diapers that I wondered how many are normal when kids go off breast milk or formula. He has certainly increased his intake of solids over the last few days. Also he is happy and napping and sleeping well.
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Thanks. We have tried different locations but maybe we will try outside today. He seems to be having at least 4 wet diapers in a day and has really increased his intake of solids.
    We will continue to ride it out. I am hopeful that we are moving in the right direction.
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 9:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2010