Wanting a Lab..

Hi there my family and I are looking for a great family dog or puppy who can be a protector of our home and our girl. we perfer a male Lab. this will be our first family dog in our new home and we are very open to advice and suggestions thank you in advance!

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Golden retreivers are a great family dog. They are easily trained (mine knew commands without training or treats). They are very child friendly, and great for walking or running with. I've had both male and female...I personally prefer males because of the whole going in heat thing.
    Anonymous

• Well, I have two labs, one male and one female. Mine in particular are not what I would call "protectors." They do bark when they hear things or when the doorbell rings, but that's about it. I'm not sure they're the best in that arena, but they are great with my girls.
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• do you know of any breeders? how about their costs?
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Honestly, I would find a lab rescue in your area. My female I bought from a breeder, and my male I bought from a rescue. My male is such a good dog and much healthier than my female. My female is very well behaved, but has some health issues (mainly her ears, which labs can be prone to). I paid $300 for my female lab and $275 for my male (to cover the rescue's costs). The only thing with a rescue is you might not get a puppy, we think mine was about 1-2 years old when we got him (he was just dropped and then found so they had little info on him). He adjusted very well though, and was already house broken. Good luck!
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• GREAT!!! THANK YOU!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We have a 6-year-old black lab. He was $300. He does have ear problems. He also has seizures, which I guess are common in labs. He is a great dog! Great with our 19-month-old son. My son can climb all over him and he'll just lay there or try to kiss him. He also tolerates our 2 cats. As far as a protector.....lol....if he's downstairs he's pretty brave. If he's upstairs, not so brave. He'll wait until I start going downstairs to come down. He will bark though if he hears something that's not right.
    Anonymous

• I would look into German Shepherds... Very loving and very protective, and there are rescues out there no matter what breed you choose.. Why buy a dog when you can rescue one?? Just a thought..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Labs can be protective but i have not met many. Most of them are so goofy and laid back that they really are protective. That is not what they were bred to do anyway. I have a flat-coat retriever/lab mix who will bark but that is the extent of it. Two summers ago we were camping when a bull charged into our campsite. Beau tried to play with it while my other dog who is a big chicken stood up to it. Labs also need a lot of exercise. If they don't get enough they get bored and will become destructive.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yellow labs are known to be the most laid back of the labs, followed by the black lab and then the chocolates are known to be the most hyper. We had a black lab. He was a wonderful and smart dog. He was very well trained and protective. My Mother now has a chocolate lab. He is also a wonderful dog but has bitten quite a few people. It's sad because EVERY time the people were warned that he bites but people just didn't believe it because he was a lab. These were all strangers and all males.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• KyliesMom our black labs name was Beaux! He was 17 when we had to put him to sleep. He had the beautiful wide block head and was the perfect lab.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 18, 2010