Breastfed infant isn't eating...

My daughter is 6 weeks old. Yesterday she BF for a shorter amount of time with each breast and with each feed; today she is barely BF at all. She does suffer from reflux but she is on medication. Is it possible that she just doesn't want to eat because of something I ate? I also tried to give her a bottle with pumped breast milk (she normally takes to the bottle just fine). I'm scared she could become dehydrated. I plan to call the pediatrician in the morning but if anyone has any ideas why she could be refusing to eat please let me know. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you eat anything abnormal? Change your perfume, laundry soap, lotion, etc? A lot of babies are sensitive to that.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 10:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• At 6 weeks, she is probably just getting more efficient at nursing, which is why she isn't taking as long to eat. I'm not sure about not taking the bottle of pumped milk, unless you offered it to her after she ate and she'd already had enough. Is she showing any other signs of the reflux bothering her more? Does she act like she's in pain or is she arching her back? If she's hit a growth spurt and her meds aren't helping as much because her weight went up a little (and so would her dose, if that's the case) then it could be the reflux. I always knew when my kids' reflux meds needed to be upped, because it was clear that they were uncomfortable. If she's not acting like the reflux is bothering her, my guess is that she's gotten more efficient at nursing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• at 6 wks old she could be tired. her jaw is so tiny and her muscles are working hard to nurse so she gets tired cuz nursings alot of work for her. also she takes the bottle easier cuz she dont have to work as hard to nurse ans suckle
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It is concerning that you say she barely breast fed at all. You are right to call the doctor. If you live in Canada you can call TeleHealth to get their opinion as to how quickly you need to get help.
    Just use water to wash your breasts.
    If she won't take the bottle try a small cup like a shot glass and just bring it to her lips gently so she can lick the milk.
    **Google Jack Newman Breastfeeding clinic for more info. Check out section 'Breastfeeding Help' - lots of info to help you with this.
    Try nursing skin-to-skin, and using gentle compressions when she is at the breast to help her get the milk.

Check out the website, there are info sheets and videos. It may help you work out what is causing the problem - you know your baby best.
    If she is really turned off the milk for whatever reason you might give her some water to keep her hydrated while you figure this out tonight.
    Trust your instincts! Good luck!
    erinjb

Answer by erinjb at 10:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son's pediatrician said that if he doesn't really want to eat, to make sure i give him some pedialite, unflavored... then try again. he's a tempermental little 3 week old...
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• count diapers and look for signs of dehydration. if baby doesn't seem bothered then baby is ok
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Have you changed 6 dipes in 24 hours? If so, you're fine. At the end of the six week growth spurt they sleep a lot and outgrow every piece of clothing you've got. **smile**

As long as the dipe count is good, you're good. If it's NOT good, then wake the baby a bit more and put her to breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2010