Will/Do you teach your children to be bi-lingual from a young age?

My family is of Spanish decent, I grew up speaking Spanish and then learned English at 15. My husband's family is from Brazil and he grew up speaking Portuguese and learned to speak English at age 17.

My daughter Anya is 8 and can speak and understand all three languages Portuguese, Spanish and English and we speak all three in our house with all four of our children and will do the same with the new baby.

Anyone else have bi-lingual children or plan to teach their children multiple languages? I'm just curious!

jcarvalho

Asked by jcarvalho at 10:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I freakin' wish!!!!! That is awesome. My son learned to count in Spanish at 3. Does that count? He has taught himself some Japanese.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• he knows them in this order English,ASL,spanish he has the ASL down pretty good for his age,spanish is however something he mostly understands more than speaks.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I absolutely will find some way for my kids to be bilingual. Not only is it AWESOME, but the paths that it opens up for them!
    Anonymous

• My kids have all learned some Hebrew along with their English. I always spoke as much Hebrew to them as I could, but I'm not fluent, so it is a little harder. Their school is a dual language school, so the Hebrew came very easy to them and they do very well in it. They also know a little French and Spanish (especially if it's a food word. LOL.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I knew you were either Brazilian or Portuguese or married one by your last name. My daughter is only 21 months, but she understands both English and Spanish. She will be bilingual....her father is from panama and I also speak spanish, so when she wants to communicate in spanish instead of English, I can do that with her also.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Yes, mine learn French and here, a proficiency in a second language , if not fluency, is necessary for admission to University.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My kids attend a french immersion school. It is our other official language here in Canada. janet116 where are you in Canada - I live in a university city and french is not necessary for admission to the U.

Anyway, I think it's very important to give my kids this opportunity, it will give them a head start in learning more languages as well. My 11yo son wants to learn spanish - he'll get to take it in high school.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If I knew a second language, I would teach it to my children. My grandparents spoke Polish, and they never taught my dad or aunt to speak it...that really disapoints me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'm not even bi-lingual so there is no way I would have been able to teach my children.
    They did take foreign language courses in high school, though.
    My oldest just took what was required for her diploma and my youngest quit Spanish and hasn't taken any more.
    My middle child learned German and Japanese....she LOVES the Japanese language and practices it all the time! She began learning it in middle school and took 3 years of it in high school. She reads the manga's that are written in Japanese :)
    All I know is a couple phrases in French and I speak fluent Pig Latin...does that count? LOL
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010