My infant has diarrhea...

My baby is 6 weeks old and she is a breastfed baby. She has had slight diarrhea for last 2 weeks but the pediatrition didn't seem concerned. Now it's just pure watery stools in her diaper. I plan to call the pediatrition in the morning, but I was wondering if this is normal for a breastfed baby to have diarrhea? Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is her poop kinda watery? my baby girl is breastfed only too and at that age she was like that too
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• i have been told it was normal. sometimes what you eat like broccholis could irritate her stomach
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• bump
    midnightstar21

Answer by midnightstar21 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• It's going to look like that until she starts solids. What color is it? Is it seedy?
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Watery, seedy, yellowish stool is normal in a breastfed infant.. If you think it is diarrhea it may not actually be diarrhea, just normal breastfed baby poop -- which is rather WATERY and very explosive!! It leaks everywhere. lol

Completely water stool, however, is NOT normal tho. Especially if it is green, mucousy, or seems to generally lack much color in general (does it look like urine?)

Have you eliminated dairy from your diet? What about block feeding Kellymom.com look up block feeding.

Has anyone given your baby anything ? Are you feeding expressed milk at all (ie: chance of contaminated bottles?) ?

I suspect this is normal breastfed baby poop, which is very watery, but if it's COMPLETE water and very lightly tinged like urine, it could be a metabolic problem or something.

Show the doctor the poop. I'm betting it's normal, but it could be something you are eating or worse. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I want to thank you all for your answers. You hit the nail on the head - the pediatrician said this is just what breastfed babies stool looks like and it's often confused with diarrhea :)
    Lori43bg

Answer by Lori43bg at 9:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010