how can my daughter can my daughter get friends at school?

Mu daughter 9 years old come home everyday with different stories that the girls who she wants to be friends lwats exlude her from their games and alwasys puts her down

what can I do to help her ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son said things like that when we first moved here...then out of nowhere...he seem to have friends everywhere. Even almost voted as class favorite. It was a tie with a girl and revote got her. I just told him to be friendly and talk to those friendly towards him and if someone excludes him, then, they are probably one he doesn't want to be friends with then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Girls that age can be so mean! It would be best for her to find one or two good friends with whom she can spend time instead of trying to get her into a large group. You could guide her toward other girls who have similar interests, encourage her to join clubs, have girls over for ice cream or movies, etc. Allow her to go to other girls' houses too.

You might also try to help her build her own self-confidence. My daughter spent some time at the Y camp during summers when she was a preteen and it really helped and she made some very good friends there.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Let her know that she shouldn't want to be friends with people who don't include her, and who also put her down. Friends should support you, say nice things to you, and want to include you in their play. Let her know that she should find friends that are good to her, because people who aren't don't deserve to be her friend. See if you can set up a play date with a friendlier group of kids. Maybe have a summer party at your house or at a local park.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I suggest enrolling her in activities where she can make her own friends. If you have a local YMCA that is a great place. Ours has a "kids night" every Wednesday that is free to everyone, not just Y members and it's for 2 hours. They get to swim, play games, etc. Otherwise, enroll her in dance, gymnastics, softball, soccer, anything! She will surely make friends and get her confidence back. And girls at that age ARE mean!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2010