Spongebob- is it really that bad??

I allow my daughter (aged 5) to watch Spongebob. She loves it and I don't get why she shouldn't watch it. I was talking with two other moms at a PTA meeting today and they looked at me as if I was from another planet when I said my daughter watches spongebob!
What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I let my daughter watch it and she has had no ill effects from it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son watches it, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think Sponge bob is a character who LOVES his job, has great work ethics, is a loyal friend, and hard worker. SERIOUSLY. My 3 yo LOVES that show. I recall growing up with the violence of Tom and Jerry, and Loony Tunes. LOL I have no ill effects, and neither does DD. I too don't get why some HATE on the show so much. It's JUST A CARTOON.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I think its ok sometimes, My son watches it when I am cleaning or its raining out. the only thing I dont like is that squidward says the word stupid and dumb and I have 2 1/2 year old so Im careful with that because he may repeat it.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Those are the moms that protect what their kid see so much that they will have a narrow view of the world and be in shock when they are let out. I just commented on another question like this. I believe in letting them watch and learn about anything, but, not on their own. It is your job to watch certain things with them and use it to teach. For instance: If they hit, shoot, otr anything bad, you comment and let your child know it is not how we act and not nice. Also, kids need a n imaginary nonsense escape like adults do. Let her have a kiddish nonsense moment. If Spongebob says shutup or something teach her and she will know that it is wrong.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My kids love it and aside from some improptu echoalia at school no ill effects.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• We LOVE Spongebob at our house, and my daughter is only 2! We are even having a Spongebob birthday party for her next week. If you let her choose what to watch, that's what she wants.
    Some mom's don't like it because it has no educational value, but I figure I can "educate" my toddler in more creative ways than in front of a TV anyway, so for the little bit she does watch why not have it be fun?
    Anonymous

• I have never seen an episode of Spongebob that I thought was inappropriate for young children. I have heard that some mom's won't let their child/ren watch it though because its "bad." I have no idea where why they think that.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I get ya 2autisticsmomm....lol ;) My son watches it, we just have frequent conversations about how sponge bob says things we dont say. LOL
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My sister doesnt allow her kids to watch it. My husbands friend has banned it also. His 3yr old daughter depants a boy @ school & when her dad asked why she said bc someone did it on spongebob & it was funny!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010