my 5 month old has been sucking on her hands and toes all day, does she need a pacifier?

i never gave her one because she didn't need one, she's not hungry she's just tearing my nipple off with her head turns. should i offer a pacifier? or should i not open that can of worms? shes been sucking her thumb a little bit too and i hear that's a worse scenario.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 10:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well its up to you. I'm sure she probably won't get nipple confusion now, but I don't know if you want her getting attached to a pacifier either. You can always just let her suck on her hands and toes when she needs to, and when she nurses maybe be in a place where there are less distractions so that she won't turn her head suddenly and hurt your nipple.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• At 5 months old it's a little late for a pacifier. She is probably teething.
    Anonymous

• Give her a teether, or a plush block toy. My DD is the same way, it gets to the point where she wants to put ANYONES fingers in her mouth. Even Dh's hairy fingers lol... To stop her we sit her with her plush blocks, teething rings, and stuffed animals... she'll gum those things all day!! LOL.

I gave Ds#1 a paci and had the hardest time getting him off. I did not give the other boys one, but I gave DD one for the first 3 weeks. She just wanted to suck and suck and suck. Eventually she stopped needing it.

Like I said i'd give your LO other alternatives.

Good luck mom
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Or a teether, Popsicle, a cold washcloth just something to ease your baby's gums.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• personally no. my DD did that some when she was discovering her feet. lol. as someone i think mentioned it could be teething some and maybe get her some teething rings. i wouldnt worry too much and i wouldnt start a pacifier now. i never used one with my DD...and i am glad!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• I say avoid the paci if you can...try cold washcloths, frozen fruit, any sucky thing you can find. If you nurse her, that is always a big help when she needs it. Pacifiers just come with HUGE dependency...but I'll warn you...even if you try, she may not want one now. I actually TRIED to give my ds one when he was teething..and he just chewed on it...then again, if that helps ...go for it
    LOL

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My son began teething at 5m & LOVED chewing his fingers. Hes now 7m old & has moved on to his feet!
    Its a baby thing, I would NOT start a paci now. Any good pediatrician will tell you to pull a paci @ 4m bc the URGE to suck goes from being a need to a habit. Anything after 4m and itll be toooo hard to break the habit.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• No, don't introduce the pacifier now. Especially with something like chewing on her hands and feet. It's natural for infants to chew on their hands and feet and there's nothing wrong with it. She's exploring her body and what she can do, just let her have at it. You can introduce teethers or other toys for her to chew on, but it is perfectly fine for her to chew on her feet and hands too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• Also, it doesn't neccisarily have anything to do with teething either, though she is at the age where that normally starts. Infants of that age are starting to discover more and more things and their body parts are apart of that. She is chewing on them simply for something to chew on and it's natural.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• She is not too old for a pacifier. Use common sense, yes she needs one.
    Anonymous