i have a baby with torticollis and it has caused flat head syndrome and I was wondering if anyone had delt witht this and how long it took for there child to be refered to a cranio specialist? Also what was done at the specialist?

abbibaileylily

Asked by abbibaileylily at 11:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had torticollis and flat head. She was diagnosed with torticollis at 2 months old and started physical therapy then. Within about 6 weeks, her neck was all corrected and no more physical therapy. Our PT told us that at her 6 month appointment is when she would be looked at by her doctor to see if she needed a helmet. The PT also told us not to worry about it because when the neck gets fixed, then she can start to move her head around more and when she starts crawling and rolling, it would start to round out. By her 6 month appointment, her head rounded out just nicely. If you look close enough, yeah you can see a small flat spot but it rounded out a lot ( like 90 % better). The PT told us that at 6 months is the idea time for helmets to round the heads back out. If you have any more questions, you can send me a message and I will be glad to help you in any way I can.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• My daughters head was really horribly flat when she came to us at 18 months old. He doctor doesn't recommend the helmet thing. He says it's too risky. Her head rounded out just fine.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

• When my daughter was about 4 months, she had a bit of a flat spot on the one side of her head, because she always rolled to that side to sleep. We got her a jumperoo to help keep her upright here and there, did more tummy time and just did our best to keep her up off of her head. By 6-7 months, her head was perfectly round. She didn't have torticollis, so I can't advise you on that. Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out for you.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son didnt have Toritcollis, he just liked to sleep on his left side alot, which made it flat. we were referred to a pediatric neurosurgeon at 6 months. He suggested a helmet which he got at 7. he is now 9 months and his head has rounded out very nicely and we predict that in a couple weeks he'll be done with it. the older they get the harder it is to shape their head with a helmet: 6-9 months is a nice window because their head is still growing alot. Once they get to be 12 months they can learn how to remove the helmet and it's alot harder.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son had torticollis and a flat spot on one side of his head. At first we just watched his head to see if it got better, when it didn't we were referred to our local helmet clinic and PT. He wore a helmet starting at 7 months old for about 2 1/2 months. With the helmet and PT his head rounded out nicely. He was in PT for about 3 months and we did excersises at home to help stretch out his neck muscle and correct the torticollis.
    The helmet was harmless...yes his head got sweaty at first, but the helmet didn't bother him at all. He could sleep and do everything normal with it on (but baths). Also, the PT doesn't hurt either. They may fuss but it doesn't hurt. Our PT said that torticollis usually isn't corrected on it's own...she had seen some people elect not to put their child in PT and they came back a couple years later because the child developed scoliosis.
    I would talk to you doc about options. Good luck Mama!!
    andriaswan

Answer by andriaswan at 11:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My daughter had torticollis. She had a flattening along the jaw line on the side her head tipped. Her ear on that side was also slightly higher than the other. She was diagnosed around 4 months old. Began stretching exercises and life-style adaptions at that time (how we held her for feedings, how she was laid to sleep, etc.) At her 15 month check-up with the orthopedic specialist she was released from his care. At that time, her face had filled out. Her ears were more even and her neck was fine. We never did do a helmet or have a referral to a pediatric neurosurgeon. She's 5 1/2 now and you'd never know by looking at her what her neck and head looked like as an infant.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• we didn't have torticollis, but my daughter laid on her back. I was worried, but it was during the whole Louisiana Hurricane episode. Basically, I kept getting bounced by the peds saying that she would be fine and it would round out by the time she started to move around. FINALLY we came back home, and her normal ped listened to me. By this point, She was 13 months old, and she actually had a crease on the back of her skull. Saw a Neurosurgeon who ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed that she had "wormian bones". Those are tiny extra bones in the sutures and VERY open growth plates. Long story short--her skull was growing, but the sutures were sort of stuck. She was too old for a helmet, and showed NO signs of abnormalities other than cosmetic. They did nothing.

Long story short (too late)---She is a scary-smart 5 year old who can't wear pigtails or her "crease" shows. But most people never notice it.
    squeegeatc

Answer by squeegeatc at 12:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2010