Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4 year old still isn't doing too well in the speech department. He does alright, and gets his point across, but he's not talking that much better than my 2 year old nephew. I'm afraid for kindergarten next year, if he's still talking like a three year old. Anyone have a problem similar to this, and is this abnormal?

Answer Question

Asked by leanne28 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Does he go to preschool?? They should be able to give you some insight and direction. If not call your local school department ASAP and tell them you want a speech eval for your son. The school dept. has a speech therapist on staff & they have to do the eval!! I think you can also call early intervention or Head start as well. But I know they have to do the speech eval if you ask for it!!


    Answer by Morgain at 11:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

  • he may need speech. here you can get them done through the school - or contact them and they will help you set it up.

    that is what i would do. get a speech evaluation and see what they think. i would let the school know too and let them know about your concerns. they may be able to give you some guidance.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2010

  • Call your school district. They will be able to help you with evals and Early Intervention services. Don't wait though! The sooner he gets the help he needs the faster he will be on track!

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • I agree with the school district. they will have a speech therapist. My son is 4.5 and see the speech therapist through the school district and is home schooled. Here in mt you can utilize these services as early as 3 yrs old. Also your ped can refer him to a speech therapist as well. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong. My son just has a lazy tounge. The speech therapy is great and my son loves going.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • My neice was a lot like that. Then a few weeks before she turned 5...BAM, her speech was clear as a bell.

    Answer by katzmeow726 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • call your ped or the school district and have him evaluated. He may be just fine, he may need some help. In many places, like Colorado, the speech therapy is done through the school system once they turn 3. My oldest was in speech from 2.5 (he had 5 words) until his 6th birthday. By that time no one knew that he had ever had any issues. Today he is 12 and speaks 2 languages with no problem.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 10:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • yourspecialkid's reply is correct. The Early Intervention is free. They will often go to your home or even to your kid's daycare to work with your child. Speech problems are not abnormal, but the earlier you can address the problem, the better it will be for your child. Best wishes.

    Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 10:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • early intervention is free but you have to pay for the speech eval unless it is ordered by your family doctor/pedi... i know from experience. also if they dont eval based on a doc referal you will be paying for therapy. my son is hard to understand sometimes and i got the referal and the eval and he wasnt low enough to qualify for any services. they basically told me he has to get worse before we can help him --- very fustrating! but his speech has come along on his own with our help ... so maybe they were right...

    Answer by AmaliaD at 10:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • My 4 year old niece still talks like a 2 year old. Its terrible. We can hardly understand what she is saying half the time. This must not be too uncommon. I am sure that once your LO is socialized among others his age he will speak more clearly. *hugs* Good luck.
    ~ Michelle

    Answer by Wish2Be at 10:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

  • Unless your state is different, your child is too old for Early Intevention (which provides homebased services until 3). Your town's school district should have a Child Study Team who handle all evaluations once your child turns 3. That team should include a speech therapist but some towns outsource all this. (My 3 yr old son just started at our town's preschool program after 18 months in EI for speech and other delays.) I believe you can request the evaluation without any specific referals. Call your school district. The other option is to find a private speech therapist but that can be expensive. I'd start with the public services first. Good luck!

    Answer by momofryan07 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.