I want to fost adopt- What do we need to do for the house?

What things will need to be done for the house check or whatever? Our area's classes (training I guess) begin in the summer.
Thanks!

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 12:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Adoption

• It is very common to have to redo a house if it is older...especially if you have NEVER had the house updated and all the codes have changed. Our windows are not the correct size for the fire and safety codes, our doors need to have keyless deadbolts not the ones with the keys. Our basement has no floor (just cement) but since it is part of our taxed living space it must have proper flooring. We have to paint the ouside (thankfully just the trim since it is all brick) because of lead. Every electrical outlet has to be turned upside down due to new electrical codes. Something to do with less of a chance of a shock. There are so many things on our list. I have many other friends who have had to redo some housing issues. A friend in another state spent over $10,000 fixing up her home so that her nephew could continue placement with them. As long as you have an updated home or a newer home it isn't an issue.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• They will give you a list at class. Everything needs to be up to code. But then there are certain regulations just for them like locking up medications, how much square footage per child, posted list of emergency numbers, if you need childcare proof that they are licensed.  They will give you time to get everything ready.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You really need to talk to your specific county and state workers regarding this. It varies greatly by where you are, so I'd suggest calling your local CPS/DHS office.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 1:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Hey.. I am taking my last class next week... And I'll tell you all the things (that I can remember) that we had to do.. You have to have a fire extinguisher.. You have to have all the outlets plugged up with those things so kids can't stick their fingers in there. You have to have decals on the glass doors... You have to have a smoke detector within 10 feet of all the bedrooms. If you are upstairs, you have to have escape ladders in every room upstairs. You have to have medicines locked up in a box with a lock. You have to have all cleaning supplies put up high so the child doesn't have easy access to them. You have to have an escape route near the front door in case of a fire. You have to have adequate lighting in the entire house... And enough room for child to have a bed and belongings. That's all I can remember..
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• All I can say is for our home we need an over haul. It ended up being less expensive doing a private domestic adoption. But we are working on preparing our home so we can go through social services if and when we are ready. We have to replace every single window and door in the home. We have to put a new floor in the basement, change every lock on the door, and a bunch of other little things that are not as expensive. We also have to repaint the exterior of the house. Thankfully it is mostly brick and just a little bit of paint it there. We did not have to do all this for our private adoption. But I am greatful that these changes need to be made. A) they really do need to be done and B) it is for the best interest of everyone in the home, not just the child we would be fostering/adopting. So while I groan and moan I'm glad it will get done. Just slowly since we are not at all handy people.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:12 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree, it's different in every county. I have never heard of what the pp said, redoing your house like that. All we had to do was put child locks on cabinets containing meds, cleaning materials etc... And then make sure our smoke alarms worked, that's it. They will tell you before they make their first visit to your house so you will have time to do what you need too. Good Luck!!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Yeah, I've never heard of having to redo that either. It makes me wonder what state and county that is. But just make things as safe as possible. Also, the water heater needs to be turned down to less than 120 degrees! But they will give you all that information before they come out and look around.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I met a couple at the zoo the other day who had to do a lot of maintance on their home as well. Just be prepared if you live in one of those homes that you knew when you bought it you had a fixer upper.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:48 PM on Apr. 14, 2010