I saw this statement somewhere (not on cafe mom) and want to know how it can be verified? (About vaccinations and autism)

"Our daughter became severely autistic after her 12 month MMR shot"

Can it actually be 100% proved that this exact, single shot caused a child to become severely autistic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• it can't be 100% proven but it there is a link between that particularly unnecessary shot and autism. it really is an unnecessary vaccination because all three are harmless to children and they can only get it once. i'd rather have my child sick for a few days than have autism their entire life
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• On the discovery health show "unlocking autism" the doctors said there is no link, never has been a proven case. But you will find many moms who disagree. Check your listings I'm sure it will be on again.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The reason people want to blame MMR is because autism usually starts showing around the same time as that shot. However, my friend's son is severely autistic and you could tell that he was different since about 6 months old, obviously long before that vaccination. He would never look at anyone in the eye and never smiled. He is almost 8 now and just got out of diapers in the last year. He is also still non verbal. It is very sad.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• There are many doctors who say there is no proven link, and many say there is a link that can't be ignored. I'm a think that were there is smoke, there is usually fire. There needs to be more research into the safty of vaccinations. Yes, pharm companies and the cdc say they are safe... but based on what information? There really has not been any extensive research done on the possible long term effects of vaccinations. They used to say there were not enough unvaccinated children to conduct a reliable study, but more andmore parents are opting to not vaccinate that surely they could begin to conduct research... yet they don't... the fact that so many parents are concerned, and want answers and want evidence that these shots are safe, and no one from the gov, cdc, or the pharm compaines seem willing to jump in and conduct the studies themselves, and any studies done by independant soucres are shot down...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Measles IS NOT harmless. Ridiculous!

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/vaxliars/measlesdeaths.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• If you don't want to believe that website.  Check the WHO website.  Measles is not harmless to children.  You should really do your research before you say such crap.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/index.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• you do realize that those numbers (death related to measles) are based off of countries where the gross income for medical care is roughly 1000 US dollars. third world countries with little to no real healthcare. the fact is 95% of measle deaths happen in third world countries where even a cold is deadly...do your research
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:21 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• No I am sick pf people like that always looking for an out. IT IS GENETIC
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• There's no proven link between Autism and vaccines, and the ONE study that claimed there was has been recently discredited by the very research institute that preformed it in the first place. I have two autistic sons, both fully vaccinated and a brother in law who's also autistic who wasn't, sorry no dice!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I dont believe there is a link. If there was a lot more children would have autism. And the children who were never vaccinated would not have it. There is some genetic link that some children have. Has anyone ever considered that around the time of the MMR is when autism will automatically show up and its just a timing coincidence. I just cant believe there is a credible link. I think parents are so frustrated and NEED a reason for this to happen to their child that this is a perfect explanation.
    And if anyone says that the instances of autism have rose recently, well I think they are just better able to diagnose it now. Back years ago they had nothing to go on or any way to really diagnose. Now we do so it looks like the numbers are blowing up.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2010