Child using the chunky todler fork and spoon?

at what age did your child start this? You know you find it over by the sippy cups and stuff. Their first fork and spoon? Some say my son who is a year old in a couple weeks should be trying to use it. I think he is to young all he would do is play with it instead of try to use it.

Newmommys101

Asked by Newmommys101 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1 yr is a good time to introduce it. By 18 months kids should have the basic idea of using a fork and spoon but there will be lots of spillage.
    Anonymous

• My 20 month old still just plays with the fork. He will "dip" the spoon in whatever he is trying to eat with it but he hasn't gotten to concept of scooping up food with utensils yet. Just let him practice and show him how, but let him get the hang of it at his own pace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i never really used a fork with my daughter. but she did get spoons at 6 months..and then at about a year id let her try once in a while by herself with some yogurt, yaaaa she made a mess...lol..but it was cute to watch. she still preferred me feeding her tho.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I had my son using them startinf at 9 months. in fact, he wouldn't touch his first birthday cake. He asked for his spoon. He ate it all with his spoon. LOL He used both fork and spoon pretty early. He didn't like touching anything with his hands.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• playing with it is a part of learning how to use it.. my daughter had a spoon in her had before she was a year.. she's now 15 months and uses both spoon and fork wonderfully... the sooner the better.. and remember play is good- its how they learn
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:16 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• We started at 12 months. I think the experience is a great thing. She is not much into using it but stabbing at food and smiling real big.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My DD is 22 months and she gets angry if I try to feed her. I only do it if she's taking to long and we're in a rush. Anyway she will use the fork for a few bites and then give up and use her hands. I'm not really pushing the issue yet, I think she'll figure it out.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I got him some today and he suprized me and actually took 2 bites using the spoon. the rest was a big mess and he was so happy making it thanks everyone
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 13, 2010