Anyone have any tricks in dealing with a two year old boy who won't listen to his mama??

SO my son doesnt listen to me..I know big surprise...I am looking for others ways to deal with this other than timeouts and spankings.He listens to his dad and i try to do the same kind of things but nothing works!!!He is in the "terrible twos" but is super smart and understands alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just be consistent. My guess is that he listens to dad better then you because you are the main caregiver. That means he's going to test your boundaries more and you need to be consistent.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• if you are out in a shopping centre and he won't walk nicely with you, take a toddler harness, and if he acts up he has to wear it. At home if he is not listening you need to be very sure he understands what you expect- I know we all think our kids are very smart, but trust me one day you will look back and feel sick at what you expected him to understand. Is he deliberately disobeying over an important thing, or is it normal 2 yr old impulsiveness. He is going to make mistakes and that is okay. It takes 18 yrs to raise a child, so don't expect it wil all be great now. Speak in a very low quiet voice - it is more effective than yelling, or a high voice. Get on his level and tell what you want, and then help him do it. "tim pick up your toys" is different to "can you get all the red blocks?" I know other Moms are big on spanking but it just makes me feel like a bully. He's two, he's only just learning to put two words together
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• When all else fails with my DS I stop talking. I just stand there really quietly and he always turns his attention to me! It's like a miracle really! lol I only do this as a last resort, after calmly speaking to him, breaking down tasks or explaining what I want. I think if I did it to often then he wouldn't want to stop and find out what I want to say. lol
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 3:41 PM on Apr. 13, 2010