my son is 5 & a half and is starting to sound out words and read quite a few words without sounding them out

Is he on track or delayed?
I hear so many moms on cafemom bragging about how their 5 yr old is able to read at a 1st grade level or do mathmatics. My son knows the basic that if you have 3 and take away 2 you only have 1 left...but he has to see it that way he can't do a math sheet with actual math problems on it like
3-2= 3+2= he is still doing his math in a visual manner where you have to have objects out.
I just don't want him to be delayed. He has preschool readiness and all the teacher says is he is ready for kindergarten..she is not specific on anything

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• id say he is right on track!! in kindergarten all they like the children to know is the alphabet, counting to 10, colours and shapes, and how to print their name
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My son is five and is in the exact same spot as your son. The only reason you feel that way is because everyone these days is trying so hard to get their kids ahead. Just take your time with him, and let him know its ok to be where he is. Don't let anyone tell you other wise
    sugarmamaofbmb3

Answer by sugarmamaofbmb3 at 2:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• For his age he is good.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:52 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I think he's right on track!My friends little girl is in the same stage as your son and she's fine.My son is 5 but he's kinda gifted he taught himself to read at 3,and other stuff he did early like crawling at 2 months and getting teeth at 3 months,he tied his shoes at 3 and alot of other weird stuff,his doctor said he's what he calls a unwilling learner where he learns stuff without trying,but my dd is 3 and she's no where near where he was at her age.Each child is different and Im sure one day everyone elses kids will have caught up with mine.But your lil guy is on time.Don't worry.
    2love

Answer by 2love at 2:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Right on track.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• Sounds like he's right on track. There will be kids in his kindergarten that are ahead of him, and behind him, no matter what you do. You could go to the bookstore and get some kindergarten workbooks in math and reading if you want to work with him over the summer to introduce concepts he will learn this year, or to add something in addition to what he learns at school (my daughter used to BEG me for homework - like her big brothers - when she was in kindergarten)

Answer by missanc at 9:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• i would say he is right on track or a little ahead.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• He sounds right on track for kindergarden. Most moms over bragg their kids talents.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2010