safe food cravings please

Hi everyone I'm Heather and i'm pregnant with type 2 diabetes. this is the first pregnancy with it so i'm scared. So i'm asking for a favor, i guess that is what you'll call it' Does anyone know of a reciepe for any type of yumminess diabetic safe cupcake, mainly chocolate and i don't mean these "omg they taste fake chocolate" i mean "omg! so yummy" very low carb also i'm having trouble making dinners, i mean whole dinners for the family and i. we have 7 to feed that is including me and hubby. so does anyone have any ideas for me please thank you do much:)

leanghiapii

Asked by leanghiapii at 3:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't have any for cupcakes because even without the sugar you'd have carbs from flour.

What I DO have is a recipe for an easy PB/chocolate fix that has only 3 carbs per serving: Whisk together 8 oz. Cool Whip and 6 Tbsp. peanut butter. Spoon into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Take 2 Tbsp. chocolate syrup and drizzle a bit over each of the filled cups. Freeze until firm.

Another chocolate treat that has only 5 carbs each is Cocoa Lava Kisses, from www.zonya.com: whip 3 egg whites with 1/8 tsp. salt until stiff peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 c. sugar while whipping. Combine 2 tsp water and 1 tsp. vanilla in a cup. Add a few drops at a time alternately with another 1/2 c. sugar while continuing to whip. Fold in 3 Tbsp. baking cocoa. Place teaspoon size bites onto a wax paper lined baking sheet and bake at 250F for 30 minutes. While still hot gently remove to wire rack. Store in airtight container.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• You can also make regular dinners for the family, but you'll have to watch portion sizes for starchy foods and cut back on bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. A portion size is 1/2 c. (1 slice bread) as a general rule. Fruit has carbs, so you should be aware of portion sizes there, too, and a banana is worth 2 portions. Have you seen a dietician? They should be able to give you an idea of how many portions you should be eating. It's often best to spread out 3 meals and 3 snacks throughout the day.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I'm pregnant with GD (for the fourth time), I make the same meals I always make for my family and just watch my portion sizes. If it's something that's heavy on carbs, like pasta or something I just add a garden or caesar salad on the side and I eat more of that. I don't have a recipe for low sugar cupcakes, but I have been experimenting a lot with recipes made with splenda - I made an awesome strawberry pie with splenda, sugar free jello, and sugar free cool whip. I had to make my own pie crust, but the only carbs in the whole thing were from the strawberries. For my chocolate cravings, I get those 100 calorie packs of the Oreo Cakesters. I can't have them every day of course, but when I really need to cut my cravings they work.
    Just as a side note - stirfrys have become a favorite of mine, I just have to eat less rice, more meat and veggies!

Answer by missanc at 3:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2010