For people who use tarot cards. Help please.

I use to have a tarot card set that was the original tarot. It got lost in my move. Well a friend bought me some other ones to replace them, The well worn path, Fairy tales, and the shape shifter tarot. Have you ever heard of these? Will these still would like the original, or are they knock off's? Are there any site to help me? If so how do I care for them, and what is the set up to use them? All my info on them were in my other book which is gone to. So...Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 3:54 AM on Apr. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have heard of them but the only one I can read are my Dragon Tarot. I have quite a few decks myself but the only one that calls to me is the Dragon one. You should go with the flow of the decks. Each one takes on a different feel and it may take some time to understand them.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I use Fenestra Tarot, really it's best to use cards that call to you as PP stated.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I agree with the pp use the ones that cal to you best. They are like the Rider deck, but the images are going to be different, and the way you interpret them may be different. As for care everyone does it a bit different. My Dragon deck is in a silk scarf in my purse or in a wooden box that is just for them. I may keep some crystals in with them once in a while if I like the way they feel and it seems right.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I've never heard of those, but most decks usually have similar meanings (just with different pics). If you are the one doing the reading(s) then just remember that the cards are only a guide.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I use the Well Worn Path. They are all really the same, but the point is to connect to the cards and interpret them for you. I would say if those decks came with books read through them and see which ones you feel most connected to. All tarot decks have the same set up, it's really just the names and pictures that change... They all have the major and Minor Arcana and hold generally the same meanings although the guides my word things differently. What is important is that YOU connect to the cards, without that connection the cards are useless.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• There is no "right" or "wrong" deck. Whichever one speaks to you.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2010

• I use the Rider Deck. It's the only one that ever spoke to me. I agree that you should go with what calls to you.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• The orginal Rider deck is the best choice. The problem with specialty decks is that they often have extra cards or replace the suits with other characters. You have to relearn which character represents the Queen of wands or the Star card. I have a Celtic deck (87 cards rather than the usual 72) and I have no idea how to use it. I'm still trying to figure out which classic character Cerridwen represents!!! These decks are works of art, but not practical for doing readings. If you don't feel comfortable relearning how to read the new tarot decks, find another classic deck.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• What deck did you first use? I ask because there is no original tarot deck. The deck itself, in design and in use has evolved over the years. It wasn't even originally used as a magical item. It was a simple card game...for gambling. As to those decks, there just decks, like all the others...if they work for you go ahead an use them. But I wouldn't call them knock-offs, just different from Rider-Waite. As to care, just like you would any card deck, don't let it get wet and dirty. lol Hopefully those decks came with instruction booklets. If not, see what a search turns up.

I use Rider-Waite's deck. I've never did the whole sleep with it under your pillow, wrap in a black cloth / white cloth / shirt, bury it in the back yard, yada yada yada. I do keep it in a box simply because the cardboard box disintegrated from over use. Just do your best to keep the cards clean so they last longer so wash your hands before use.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:40 PM on Apr. 13, 2010

• My first deck was the Rider-Waite version of the beginners deck. In fact, I still use it. While I am learning a lot of what some cards mean, the beginner's deck has the meanings, both upright and inverse, printed on them. it doesn't change their effectiveness at all.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2010